PDA

View Full Version : Timid Bunch

Frasers Fourth
01-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I have 8 discus in a 83gal. tank and they timid. How long does it usually take for them to come around and not hide in the corners?

phidelt85
01-12-2008, 02:45 AM
How long have you had them?
Have you checked your water parameters?
If you just got them it may take them a few days to settle in. You may try keeping the lights dim over there tank until they get used to the new digs. If they are just timid when you're around, it's just gonna take them time to get used to you. Some of the ones I have in my 125 still bolt when they first see me or I walk into the room when it's dark, and I've had the oldest ones for almost a year, then they're up front waiting for dinner :D. I've made it a habit to turn on the room lights first before walking in front of the tank. Don't let their shyness keep you from working in the tank. They just have to get used to you.

MSD
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Mine follow me back and forth in the tank thinking they are getting food, however, if I make a sudden move or bang something on the glass while cleaning, they flip out, its the nature of the beast, natural instincts. I also notice when the tank temp when down a little to 82 they were more skittish, back up to 86 and they were much calmer, not sure if that was coincidence or not? Had a heater that started dropping here and there, new visi therm deluxe, went to a stealth and it was OK. The heaters lately as so unreliable.

aquagal
01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I have six in a 55gal who did the same. It took some time, but they did come around. They do still bolt around for some reason when they get startled (I think they startle each other).

Keep working around the tank, don't baby them (as the breeder I got them from told me).

Don Trinko
01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
You are seeing normal behavier for discus new to your tank.
Discus have personalities. I have 3 tanks with discus. In one when I clean the tank they follow the syphon around, in another the go to the furthest corner when I unplug the filter prrevious to cleaning.
They do not like shadows, loud noises or vibrations. Don T.