PDA

View Full Version : Re-freezing Beefheart?

wilddiscuss
01-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all,

I have heard of people re-freezing beefheart mixes in the freezer in zip lock bags and what not so they will have that mix for a couple months. This is my question... From what I have heard you are not supposed to re-freeze meat once it is thawed out. Is that true with discus as well? I can only find beefheart frozen. Not fresh. The closest place I could try to get it is a slaughter house, but at that point I would have to know when a farmer in the area is bringing in a cow, and get the beefheart then. Seems pretty silly to me. What do you pros do? Do you refreeze and everything is ok? Or do you just make enough to keep in the fridge for a week at a time? Seems like making it weekly would be pretty time consuming. Thanks and let me know :)

Todd

brewmaster15
01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Todd,

If you are buying frozen heart meat and thawing it once...to make a beef heart mix... you should be okay refreezing it...most meat packers flash freeze the meat..so nutrient nutrient loss is at a minimum.... The protein content will remain largely unchanged... I would suggest you add multivitamens and other ingredients like shrimp...this should offset anything lost..

hth,
al

wilddiscuss
01-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Todd,

If you are buying frozen heart meat and thawing it once...to make a beef heart mix... you should be okay refreezing it...most meat packers flash freeze the meat..so nutrient nutrient loss is at a minimum.... The protein content will remain largely unchanged... I would suggest you add multivitamens and other ingredients like shrimp...this should offset anything lost..

hth,
al

Ok Thanks! That helps a lot. Cari from Great Lakes Discus is going to help me out making a good mix when I go over to his house. He said... buy a food processor though and bring it over..haha! I am sure we are going to put it through some tuff cutting! Thanks Al!

Todd