PDA

View Full Version : Too much current?

geleen
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I have a 65 gal., 3' long and run a Rena 3, full bore, down the length of the tank. The spray bar is pointed up, so that the surface is broken up really well.

There are 5 adult discus 13 cardinals and 4 sterbai cory's in the tank.

The food moves around the tank quite fast.
Is this too much current?

Thanks John

aquagal
01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
mine do NOT like the current.

ed8t
01-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Mine don't mind current. One tank has a couple of canisters and a Hydor powerhead, the other, a sponge filter, HOB powerfilter and another powerhead. With all food except flakes, my discus likes to leisurely pick off food from the bottom.

fishmama
01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a 60 "tall" with XP3 and spraybar pointed across top surface, along with a sponge filter. Mine don't mind a bit.

hth,
Lisa

White Worm
01-16-2008, 03:16 AM
75g XP3 full flow pointed at the surface and mine dont care one bit. I find the higher flow keeps away algae growth and that brown scum from building up on any surfaces.

PiLer
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
We just run sponge filters in our tanks...but I have run a bio-filter before and they didnt seem to mind.

Piler

korbi_doc
01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
mine do NOT like the current.

;) That's interesting Aquagal; like the others, my fish like the current, to the point that they play in the waterstream when I'm refilling the tanks....I don't worry 'bout current at all, think that's just an old fallacy....my tanks all have AC filters with sponge filters too......JMO, Dottie ;)

GrillMaster
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
If its any consolation...I have 2 XP3's on a 125G. I had one spray bar pointed up across the length of the tank and the other attached to the back wall pointed to the back.

I changed it so both spray bars are pointing slight upwards across the length of the tank! This creates quite a current but really keeps food and waste from sitting in one place on the bottom of the tank. The fish dont mind either.

tc
Mark

lybrasoft
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Hy,

I have an XP 3 on a 60 g tank and had the same impression at the beginning. Now i think it is not too much waterflow . I tried running just the sponges too and they seemed to like it better with the XP3.

Check out our journey !

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=61218&highlight=piler

thomasfoo
01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
mine look more active after i put up a tiny water circulation pump. they chase after the food sometimes :)

MSD
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
If they are swimming all around the tank and not just staying in one place, and they can expand their fins against the current, its not too much.

Kindredspirit
01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
;) That's interesting Aquagal; like the others, my fish like the current, to the point that they play in the waterstream when I'm refilling the tanks....I don't worry 'bout current at all, think that's just an old fallacy....my tanks all have AC filters with sponge filters too......JMO, Dottie ;)

Well said, Dottie! Mine used to love it as well ~ and it was very strong!

They do not care about current, background, deco, plants, only FOOD!:D

( and clean water)

crazie.eddie
01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
If its any consolation...I have 2 XP3's on a 125G. I had one spray bar pointed up across the length of the tank and the other attached to the back wall pointed to the back.

I changed it so both spray bars are pointing slight upwards across the length of the tank! This creates quite a current but really keeps food and waste from sitting in one place on the bottom of the tank. The fish dont mind either.

tc
Mark

I've got a similar setup on my 125. An XP3 with a spraybar all the way on the left, so the current is going from Left to Right. I have my Eheim Pro II 2128 with a spraybar all the way to the right, but pointed at an angle down. I also have a Powersweep powerhead on the right, directing current to the left. Another Poweersweep powerhead in the middle, directing current also to the left. Therefore, all the waste eventually gets pushed to the left side of the tank, where the intakes for both filter are at. This is allot of current. My fish (discus, angels, clown loaches, plecos, and harlequin rasboras) don't mind it.

MaryPa
02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
:pAm I wrong or don`t Discus come from the Amazon "River "? That`s mighty fast moving waters if you ask me. The wild Discus should feel at home with a powerhead in their tank and the tank raised would learn to love it............but then who am I but some old woman that talks to fish and a dog.

madfish
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I thought that I would put in my two bits on this question. I have a 90gal with a xp3 one one end so the curent is going from right to left. Then on the left side I have a powerhead that runs pushing the water from left to right. I think that they quite enjoy playing in the curent. They like to get caught by one and ride it to the other where they curve there body to catch that one back to the other side. But hey what do I know other than how to grow algae in a fully planted tank.