PDA

View Full Version : Paints safe for the inside of tanks

cschwaderer
01-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I've heard of people making tanks out of plywood boxes, then painting the insides with a special kind of paint/sealant.

Does anyone here have any information on what kind of paint you can use on the inside of a tank? My needs are more modest as I have a split 40 with a glass divider and I'd like to paint 1 side of the divider.

What kind of paint can I use that won't be harmful to the fish? I was thinking marine paint should be ok.

Thanks so much for any info.

Curt

Graham
01-15-2008, 07:42 PM
You'll want some kind of a 2 part epoxy enamel...a lot of marine paints have lead or anti-fouling additives, I would not use them

two utes
01-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I would not use Marine paints either.
Here in Australia there is a product made by 'Bondel'. Its called 'Pond Tite'. It is used for painting concrete or timber boxes to make them water tight. It is a water proof rubber type membrane, and comes in a variety of colours. Black, Blue, Teracotta, and so on. It states on the can that you can use it with fish providing you follow the required cleaning steps.
Good luck with your enquire.;)

Ichthyology
02-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Aquatic Ecosystems sells a two part epoxy that is fish safe. I have used it a number of times. Here is a link for it:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/11733/cid/3035

RandalB
02-22-2008, 11:01 AM
If you are just painting plastic fittings or PVC, Krylon Fusion is safe after it dries...

RandalB

Kindredspirit
02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Are you sure, Randal? I thought I was convinced....but then some have different views on it....:confused:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62425

RandalB
02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Once it's completely dry, it's safe enough to use in reef tanks, I used it for almost 2 years in my old 54 corner reef (painted the overflow) with no problems.

It's actually widely used for that purpose in the reef hobby. I think you'd run into more problems in salt water than in fresh don't you?

Just make sure it is completely cured and it will be fine.

RandalB