PDA

View Full Version : Hi Im new here!

ama062
01-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi to all:

I ve being keeping angels for years. I always wanted to learn about discus. I ve being reading for years. But my problem is that I do not have much time to attend discus since I work overtime and I know they require more time for maintenance.

I have one 55 gal stablished tank, 1 45 gal, 2 (20) gal tank and 1 15 gal, all of them all fully cycled. You wont believe that the 55 gal has only one angel the 20 gals two angels in one of they and in the other one lonely angel, same as in the other tanks. 1 or two fishes per tank, lol..... I do keep them very clean, doing w changes regularly. All angels are healthy.....

My question is can I put a few discus in there??? I have not kept discus cause the aged water issue that i have to keep, i do not have room for that...... What other alternative I can use??

Thanks
Amarilis:)

Don Trinko
01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
You need to do freqent water changes with discus. They can be picky eaters so they may not get enough to eat with others in the tank. They also require a warm temperature. ( 82 min ) Don T.

judy
01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Angels are said to carry parasites that don't bother the angels, but can transfer to discus. Having said that, I have two angels in with my discus (the angels preceded the discus by four years and were not wild-caught, and all have been healthy). You want at least five, preferably six, discus and your 55 gallon should accommodate that at least until they've grown out.
I know a lot of people use aged water. I never have. I just use it out of the tap. But then, our city water comes straight from a northern Canadian wilderness lake, has only chlorine and chloramine added, and both are removed with Prime before adding to the tank.
Keeping discus is actually not as mystical or complex as some would suggest, provided you follow three rules:
keep the water pristine, by whatever means required-- very frequent water changes is the usual advice. I don't do that (I change 2 to 3 times a week, and when they grow up, they'll get less feeding so they'll get fewer changes than that) but then I also have biofiltration for more than 200 gallons on a 78 gallon tank.
Feed juveniles very often-- five to six times daily. Feed a varied diet, including lots of frozen bloodworms but plenty of other foods designed for discus. Keep the tank bottom clean by vacuuming nightly (this is harder if you have a planted tank). That will in and of itself mean a small water change. Again, I don't do that, but have no problems. I employ clean-up crew fish that help finish leftover food. I gravel-vac when doing the big WCs.
Keep the water parameters consistent at the ideal for discus: zero ammonia, zero nitrites, lowish PH --- under 7, above 6, (though that's not critical by any means as long as it's consistent), nitrates below 10, phosphates below 2, Kh as low as you can get it (but not below 2 or 3 or you risk Ph crash), temp range from 82 minimum to 84 or 86 if they're young 'uns.
That's all you need to do to have healthy, growing, happy discus.