PDA

View Full Version : fluval fx 5 . what type of media?

ionas.simion.damian
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
thanks

Harriett
01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, the FX5 comes with 6 large rectangular sponges that are designed to hold 2 per basket [3 baskets total] that when inserted in each basket form a circle with an empty basket space in the center. When I set mine up, I was coming off a wet dry system, so I used the well seeded bioballs in the center part of each of the baskets and on top of those laid filter floss. I had intended to use different densities of floss [from course to quite fine] so that the last of the water to filter before tank return was the finest...what I found was that these clogged very quickly and slowed down the whole system, so I now use a medium floss for all 3 baskets laid over the bioballs. I also use a big fine grade sponge on the intake of the FX5 which I clean every other day or 3. THe canister stays quite clean if you stay on top of the prefilter business. You could of course use all kinds of stuff--I could see some ceramic noodles if you didn't do bioballs; by the way, I never clean all the big rectangular sponges at the same time, but alternate when I clean a particular basket and my system stays very stable. How large a tank are you putting this filter on? Are you setting up a spray bar for return water?
Best regards
Harriett

FishLover888
01-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Is it good enough for a 125 g tank and how easy is it to clean it? How about the quality of this filter?

I have a 304 and 404 running for my 125 tank and the 404 is close to the end of it's lifespan since last time I had hard time get it started. I'm thinking of what to have next.

One option is to have 2 Ehiem 2217s, which is over $250 and close to $300.

Another is to have an ehiem 2250, which is about $250.

The last I can think of is an FX5, which I can get for about $190.

I kind of gunshy on the Fluval since I really did not have good experience with the 404. Had no problem with the 304.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Harriett
01-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Ditto, do NOT mean to hijack the thread but I will respond to the question here. First, a 125 is a perfect size for the FX5 and will handle it well. For my 180g I supplemented the FX5 with an Eheim 2026 I had sitting around--the Fluval wasn't quite doingwhat the tank required. I do suggest building a spray bar for the return water--mine is set up to run horizontally along the bottom of the tank up the back wall [and across the surface of the top to the front of the tank, etc] and that works fine.
I had never owned, nor planned to own a Fluval, having never heard anything particularly encouraging about them, but the FX5 is an entirely different filter with much improved technology--so I took a chance and I am very glad I did, almost 2 years later. Works beautifully, powerful motor, nice design. No harder or easier than most canisters to clean--just the usual; I have found that I don't have to clean this sucker all that often---I figured I'd have to do it at least 1 x month but because of the prefilter, etc, it was always still clean...now I do it every 3 months for the last year and my adult discus in this planted tank have not been sick since I plugged the FX5 in. I stay on top of the prefilter, and I use a python to clean substrate/ fill the tank weekly. WHen I way understocked the discus, I did 70% once a week; now I have more discus [though still understocked] and I am doing 2 50% changes a week--everything is going well. That's what I know.
Best of luck
Harriett

ionas.simion.damian
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
I GOT IT ON A DEAL AND DOES NOT HAVE ANY FILTERS.115 GALLON IS TO SMALL FOR THIS CANISTER? I DO NOT HAVE A SPRY BAR

Harriett
01-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Ionis
Are you saying you have no media and the baskets? You can order them seperately and in order for this filter to function properly, you might consider doing this. Google FLUVAL FX5 PARTS.

I didn't have a spray bar either, but iterally all you need is a piece of appropriately sized PVC to fit into the hose collar. 2 pieces if you set it up as I did, one vertical, one horizontal, connected with an elbow. Also buy a plug to fit the PVC to cap off the end of the spray bar. Drill a series of 1/8 inch holes along the length of the PVC spaced about 2" apart. End of story, takes about 15 minutes. I didn't glue anything together--I want to be able to take it apart to clean occasionally.
Best regards
Harriett

ionas.simion.damian
01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
thanks harriett
and regarding the other media i m planning to use bio chem stars from rena and some ceramic rings . is that ok?

Harriett
01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
That would work fine, but again, you need the baskets and the foam collars for the baskets for this filter to work the way it was designed to. The stars and ceramic noodles would be great in the middle of the basket with some floss. If the baskets look like hats, the foam collars would fit into the 'brim' and the floss, stars/ceramic noodles would sit where your head would be, in the middle. Does this make sense?
Good luck.
Harriett

ionas.simion.damian
01-22-2008, 06:52 PM
yes i already ordered the foam colars and some round blue stuff for the midlle of basket. i just didn t know what to use in the midle of it . i ve heard people using purigen carbon , nitra zorb and i was a little confused