PDA

View Full Version : HAS ANYONE USED THE PREMIUM PLAY SAND FROM HOME DEPOT IN A DISCUS TANK?

ionas.simion.damian
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I JUST PURCHASED IT BECAUSE I WANTED A WHITE SAND AND I WANNA KNOW IF IT S OK WITH DISCUS?
THANKS

YSS
01-22-2008, 11:43 PM
I have white play sand in my discus tank. I did not buy from Home Depot, but mine are very fine white play sand.

Kindredspirit
01-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I will be putting white sand in my Frontosa tank soon, and I had both types in my discus tank....but the white sand washed out the discus really bad.... and made all look pale, IMO ~

Monteray Beach Sand is what I use from Home Depot ~ $3.00 a bag ~ wash well.;)

alan j t
01-23-2008, 12:03 AM
hi everyone
im interested in play sand also
how do you wash it out(rinse it)
as in what methods do you use to not get it down the drain
is it safe for my rams as well

digthemlows
01-23-2008, 01:54 AM
hi everyone
im interested in play sand also
how do you wash it out(rinse it)
as in what methods do you use to not get it down the drain
is it safe for my rams as well

I put the sand in a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot and shoved the hose in...........then I turned the water on enough to fill up the bucket but no overflow the sand.............I let the water run for 45 minutes and went and stirred it around every 5 minutes............seemed to work good for me...........

alan j t
01-23-2008, 03:00 AM
that sounds easy enough
thankx for the tip

White Worm
01-23-2008, 03:08 AM
Monteray Beach Sand is what I use from Home Depot ~ $3.00 a bag ~ wash well.;)

Me too... (Monterey) :)

Jhill
01-23-2008, 07:23 AM
I use pool filter sand in my ram tank. Good stuff and very clean.

A Friend in discus
John

RandalB
01-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Check it with vinegar unless you are planning to use it for buffering purposes. Some of the premium play sands are aragonite or calcium carbonate sand that may effect pH.

Pool filter sand is a different animal, almost always a quartz based sand.

HTH,
RandalB

ponderingky
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I have the pool filter sand in all my tanks - I love it. I stays on the bottom and does not cloud the tank. It is crushed quartz and thus will not affect the ph of the tank. Very easy to clean initially and with the python.