PDA

View Full Version : another measurement

alxjss
01-22-2008, 09:20 PM
OK, here is another pic. Not sure if its the same fish but he is about 3 11/16ths. I think i tramatized him tho. He was flippin and floppn and when i put him back in the tank, he wasn't real good. He is a little better now, but i am worried. What is the best and easiest way to do this w/o harming these little guys?
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discuchallange.jpg

LizStreithorst
01-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Hauling them out of the tank and into the air with a net is not their favorite thing no matter how you do it.

Graham
01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Get a small square plastic container, just deep enough to hold the fish vertically and mark the measurements off in it with a felt maker.

Then when you want to measure the fish just hold him with you hand against the side of the contrainer, with it's mouth/nose against the end wall .

This is the least amount of stress and no cuticle is being removed with the net.

In every koi show all the fish are benched, meaning that they are ID'ed and measured. This is how we do it. Last Fall I benched Koi America in Baltimore and measured close to 200 fish ranging from 5'' to 30''....lousy way to have a shower:)

Jason
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Wow Eileen! your doing great! just awesome:)

renae
01-23-2008, 02:32 AM
They're growing fast Eilleen, it must feel very rewarding to measure them and realise they have grown that much,keep up the good work.

alxjss
01-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks everyone. Like i said, i have 3 about the same size, maybe a tad bit bigger. For everyone else that wants to measure their fish. Be careful. My poor guy was terrified. I will do it diff. next time:o

alxjss
01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, my little guy seems to be ok. It took a little while. He is still alittle skittish tho. I will def do it different next time.:o

GrillMaster
01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Looks like I am gonna have to step up the feeding regime on my part!! Mine are 2 weeks older and not much bigger...:D

tc
Mark

phidelt85
02-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Looks like I am gonna have to step up the feeding regime on my part!! Mine are 2 weeks older and not much bigger...:D

tc
Mark

Join the club, Mark!

Harriett
02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
No disrespect intended at all, but why would you need to know so precisely how long your discus is that it needs to come out of the tank to be measured? Way too stressful. You can always tape a ruler or a CD to the tank wall, eventually they will swim near it, you can get a pretty accurate measurement in that fashion.
Best regards
Harriett

AADiscus
02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Looks like your doing a great job. Another way you can try is when you net your fish, keep the net in the water but up enough so that you can grab the fish with your hand. Once out of the tank you can place them on something to measure them, then hand put them back in the tank with your hand.

brewmaster15
02-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Looks like they are growing awesome Eileen...... It may not be the most precise way to measure a fish but if you take a pic of the fish next to any object thats a known size you can get a fair approximate...I look at the hydro sponges as a guide... you also can just tape a ruler to the outside of the tank..

When you net them to measure them..you can rub off slime coat and damage fins...these will heal quickly..but I net only when I have to..... hth,
al

alxjss
02-02-2008, 08:18 AM
No disrespect intended at all, but why would you need to know so precisely how long your discus is that it needs to come out of the tank to be measured? Way too stressful. You can always tape a ruler or a CD to the tank wall, eventually they will swim near it, you can get a pretty accurate measurement in that fashion.
Best regards
Harriett
Harriett, no disrespect taken. I am doing just what other r. I figured it will be when it comes to judgement time. Ur right, it is way too stressful for the little guys.

Looks like your doing a great job. Another way you can try is when you net your fish, keep the net in the water but up enough so that you can grab the fish with your hand. Once out of the tank you can place them on something to measure them, then hand put them back in the tank with your hand.
Thanks Angela. I never took any fish out of the tank before. I no these guys have those hard fins and i am a big baby. If i get pricked, i am afraid i will drop him/her and then have to try again. These guys get spooked real easy.

Looks like they are growing awesome Eileen...... It may not be the most precise way to measure a fish but if you take a pic of the fish next to any object thats a known size you can get a fair approximate...I look at the hydro sponges as a guide... you also can just tape a ruler to the outside of the tank..

When you net them to measure them..you can rub off slime coat and damage fins...these will heal quickly..but I net only when I have to..... hth,
al

Hi Al. I was thinking of taping a sewing measure to the tank. I have one. Also, what is required for this comp?

brewmaster15
02-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Also, what is required for this comp?Healthy, beautiful discus...:) At this point... I would not worry about how the fish will be judged.... just focus on raising the best discus you can.:)...by the looks of it..I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

-al

Kindredspirit
02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

-al

Except don't net them to measure!;) They are looking great, though!

alxjss
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Here is my new setup. Will be easy now;)
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discuchallange144.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discuchallange143.jpg

renae
02-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Thats a good idea Eilleen,less stress on the fish,I may do this myself.Those fish are looking bigger everytime I see a new picture,great work.:)

alxjss
02-03-2008, 08:09 PM
thanks renea. i think its alot better. Urs look real good also;)

phidelt85
02-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey, Eileen, slow down so the rest of us can catch up!! :D Your fish are looking, in the words of my son, Ginormous!! :D

alxjss
02-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Jose, all these guys do is eat and poop, eat and poop. All I do is feed and clean, feed and clean.......:shocked::rolleyes2:

two utes
02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Jose, all these guys do is eat and poop, eat and poop. All I do is feed and clean, feed and clean.......:shocked::rolleyes2:

You're Funny Eileen. :laugh:

discusraja
02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Eileen
Why is a coin is pasted in the front glass of the aquarium ?
Just to know the reason. Many of the contestants' aquarium front glass have a coin sticked Why ? :)

steve.ryall
02-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Raja,

the coin is just for size comparison hth

April
03-01-2008, 03:48 AM
another good measuring device is a cd . i think they are 4 3/4 inches . you hang one..behind..and when thtey swim by..you can judge .
your fish look awesome . good care..good genetics.

Kindredspirit
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Raja,

the coin is just for size comparison hth

Raja? You okay, Steve? I know I know...You miss the lil Sh!t, huh?

BSW
03-02-2008, 07:46 PM
WOW !
They are really growing !
They look GREAT
B

Kenny's Discus
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Eileen, keep up the good work, they look awesome!:)

I don't measure my fish all the time but when the need arise I do it similarly like you did.:o But they would always be back normal within 30 mins.

Kenny

Armandi_Fishcarer
03-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi Eileen, keep up the good work.

IMO measuring Discus from the outside it alot simpler then removing them for various reasons.

The rule(usually marked on the glass), on the outside of a tank as Eileen's pic discribe, is an old system used, & even though you may need to still catch the fish for a precise measure(laying it on the inside glass-wall of the tank) it is alot more pleasing to the fish.

Regards Armandi ;)