PDA

View Full Version : Circuit overload?

KJoFan
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
One of my circuit breakers keep tripping today. It's tripped at least 5 times. I haven't added anything in the past couple days so what would be causing it? I know it's probably overloaded as it is because I have most of my lights, heaters and a few AC's all on the same circuit. (Unfortunately, when I had the electrician install more outlets he put them all on the same circuit...which means...i can't really move things around much because I don't have but one other separate circuit to work with in the fishroom.)

Would it just be an overload causing it or is something shorting that's tripping it? It doesn't have a GFCI outlet on it, although I do have one to put on, just haven't gotten to it.

I really need to get this figured out because all my heaters are on this circuit and my tanks are already dropping to 79-80.

So suggestions on what to check or try would be very appreciated!

GulfCoastDiscus
01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Tripping the circuit breaker is not alway an overload. It could be tripping because there's a short somewhere. A heater could be malfunctioning causing it to trip the circuit. If this always happened in the past then your problem is an overload in the system but if this is recent and you haven't added anything to the circuit then I would suspect a shortage somewhere.

KJoFan
01-24-2008, 08:53 PM
That's what I kind of wondered. What's the easiest way of going about figuring out which heater it might be? I did switch some things over onto the other circuit and it's been ok for now so...I don't know what's going on. :confused:

GulfCoastDiscus
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
That's what I kind of wondered. What's the easiest way of going about figuring out which heater it might be? I did switch some things over onto the other circuit and it's been ok for now so...I don't know what's going on. :confused:

Process of ellimination.

KJoFan
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Too bad I don't have any extra heaters to start swapping out. Heaters suck...I"m moving to a tropical climate. :)

discussmith
01-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Do a quick wattage calculation by adding up the wattages of your heaters and lights. I wouldn't worry about any pumps as most of them are in the 10 - 30 watt range and usually only one per tank. Even though fluorescents actual wattage use is different than what the lamps say the lamps will give you an idea of how loaded your circuit may be. Anywhere near 1700-1800 watts on a 15 amp or 2300- 2400 watts total (lights and heaters) on a 20 amp and you could have a problem. You would obviously have to have a lot going on to approach those numbers. I would look for moisture condensation inside glass heater tubes or on lamp sockets. It would not surprise me to find the problem is in a heater whose seal has failed and allowed moisture in and it shorts out when the thermostat calls for heat.

Elite Aquaria
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Too bad I don't have any extra heaters to start swapping out. Heaters suck...I"m moving to a tropical climate. :)

Karen,

Come on down...I'll help you build your new fish room...;)

moik
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I hate to say it ,but unplug all your heaters and turn the breaker back on. If it stays on, "good". Have somebody stand by your breaker box with the breaker still on and you go back and plug in the heaters one by one til breaker trips. That should be you bad heater, if you visually can not see it being bad. The main thing is having your wiring Correct, for your safety and the fishes. If you still have problems, please contact a qualified electrician .

KJoFan
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Seems things have been going ok lately. I moved some things off the one circuit onto another and it's been better. So, I'm guessing it was just an overload. I did find I had accidentally left one of my water pumps plugging in, in my barrel, that might have added just enough extra to overload the circuit. But thanks for the suggestions, as if this happens again, which it probably will....I will know what to try

Dan- that sounds like a pretty good offer to me. We went from 40 degrees yesterday to -4 today...talk about a temperature swing! I'll be down directly! :)