PDA

View Full Version : 01-27-08 Hey, Andrew, I told you wrong

phidelt85
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
LOL! :D :D Andrew, it looks like the measurement I told you yesterday was a bit off. :D Here's Lil' Half Dead

In the beginning:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/cuervogold85/Discus%20Hobbyist%20Challenge%20Pics/12-18-2007/DSC03356.jpg

and Now:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/cuervogold85/Discus%20Hobbyist%20Challenge%20Pics/01-27-08/DSC04087.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/cuervogold85/Discus%20Hobbyist%20Challenge%20Pics/01-27-08/DSC04112.jpg

My whole clan is doing really well. Not all are this size; there are a couple a tad smaller than Lil' HD ~3", and the rest are between 2.5" and 2.75" They're all eating well. I find Rudy every now and again. The only way I can differentiate him from the rest is because he has the most new growth on his tail fin due to it being just a stub from his ordeal at arrival time. They are all pretty fiesty.

My tank looks like crap with brown algae spots growing on the tank daily because I have to keep a heat lamp aimed at the autofeeder to keep the condensation off of the drum. So I have to scrub it down daily. They're staple foods are FBW and Omega one marine flakes. They still get BH, Omega One marine pellets and an occassional snack of red wrigglers. I'd feed them red wrigglers more often if they weren't such a PITA to pick out of the bin and clean off. (any suggestions greatly appreciated) :)

White Worm
01-28-2008, 02:14 AM
What do you feed the red wrigglers?

NanDiscus
01-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Jose,

One of the points in feeding live red wigglers is not cleaning them off.

Nandi

phidelt85
01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
What do you feed the red wrigglers?
Mike, they started off in a peat bed and as I added more wrigglers I have gone to a shredded newspaper bed. They also get left over veggies (celery, brocolli, lettuce, tomatoes)

Jose,

One of the points in feeding live red wigglers is not cleaning them off.

Nandi
Why is that? I just want to know is all :)

alxjss
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Jose. Great job bud! I love reading ur posts. U r funny!! Brown algae sucks. I don't get it often, when i do its because i missed a spot on the tank when wiping down. yuck!!!!:angry:

two utes
01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi there Jose. Looking great mate! 'Half Dead' has come good for you, and all it took was a little tender loving care. If you don't mind me asking, what's your W/C sceduel?
Keep up the good work.:D:D:D

phidelt85
01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Jose. Great job bud! I love reading ur posts. U r funny!! Brown algae sucks. I don't get it often, when i do its because i missed a spot on the tank when wiping down. yuck!!!!:angry:
Thanks for the compliment, Eileen! I can't stand the brown stuff. I had no issues with it until I had to add the heat lamp which stayed on with lights out as well. I've turned it off since it has warmed up over here for the last two days. I'm thinking of getting a red heat lamp to see if it gives me the benefits of heat with no "visible" light. I don't know if algae uses all wavelengths or not so we'll see.

Hi there Jose. Looking great mate! 'Half Dead' has come good for you, and all it took was a little tender loving care. If you don't mind me asking, what's your W/C sceduel?
Keep up the good work.:D:D:D

Thanks, Joe! He has come a ways as has Rudy and Poo. :D I do two 50% WC a day and squeeze out the sponge every other day. Although sometimes one of the WCs may be more like a 60-75% WC. These guys lay down a lot of crap so it takes me a bit more time in the mornings to vac it all out. Whenever I work days they get their first WC at 0400HRS and the second one around 1900-2000HRS. When I work Nights, 1st is at 0630HRS and the second at 1600HRS before I go back to work. When I'm off they get the first whenever I wake up and the second around 2000HRS.

alxjss
01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Eileen! I can't stand the brown stuff. I had no issues with it until I had to add the heat lamp which stayed on with lights out as well. I've turned it off since it has warmed up over here for the last two days. I'm thinking of getting a red heat lamp to see if it gives me the benefits of heat with no "visible" light. I don't know if algae uses all wavelengths or not so we'll see.

Thanks, Joe! He has come a ways as has Rudy and Poo. :D I do two 50% WC a day and squeeze out the sponge every other day. Although sometimes one of the WCs may be more like a 60-75% WC. These guys lay down a lot of crap so it takes me a bit more time in the mornings to vac it all out. Whenever I work days they get their first WC at 0400HRS and the second one around 1900-2000HRS. When I work Nights, 1st is at 0630HRS and the second at 1600HRS before I go back to work. When I'm off they get the first whenever I wake up and the second around 2000HRS.

Wow Jose, lots of w/c's. Man u r BUSY!!!:D

Ardan
01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Whew!

Looking good Jose! After the rough start, they are really going good now!:D

Ardan

Green Country Discus
01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey my friend, amasing how fast they grow when you get it right. Looking good Jose ;)! Those are going to be some sweet adults!

Darren's Discus
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
JOse,
looking good,lucky half dead had you their for him !

cheers

phidelt85
01-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks, Ardan, Andrew, and Darren! He's lucky I had the help of everyone on this great site, plus Al and Andrew's advice helped me get through the whole ordeal. I do appreciate the compliments and I really can't wait till these guys are all grown up. :D

GrillMaster
01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Lookin awsome Jose!!

That was an amazing comeback with these guys! From half dead to future breeders! :)

Very well done my friend! :thumbsup:

tc
Mark

phidelt85
01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Mark! Yours aren't looking too shabby either. :D

GrillMaster
01-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Its Al's beef heart!! :D :D

An I had a head start! ;)

tc
Mark

phidelt85
01-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Yea, I'm gonna have to get some of that beefheart sent this way huh! ;)