PDA

View Full Version : first Discus tank what do I do?

huk chun chu
01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I have been keeping tropical fish for over 40 years but for some reason have never had discus.What I would like to do is set up a show tank of between 150 & 250 gal. to house mainly discus but a community tank.There are lots of questions I need help with,such as.The best way to start the tank? Plants ,fish Discus or other fish first? What order to do it in? I an thinking of having Oto cats,cory's,zebra plecos,some small school of barbs or tetras( no idea what ones at this time).What number of discus to put in this tank etc.? If they require the large water changes as I have read to properly grow I do have a 35 gal. established (planted tank) a 55 & 90 gal. bare tanks availeable to start them in. This is my very first post to this forum & I know there are many more questions I will have in order to do this successfully so I hope you will all bare with me & help me to set this up in the best way in order to keep the discus healthy & happy. Thanks

White Worm
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Welcome to simply! You are in the right place for discus. Your best bet would be to do some thorough research in the different sections here on Simply since you are curious about alot of different areas. Alot of the basics have been covered and you may want to look at the "Stickys" at the beginning of each section. You sound very excited about your new adventure. Prepare yourself because it will be great provided you do it right. :D

15-25 discus. Cycled tank and add all discus from the same breeder all at once. Get the same size discus. I would go BB tank if they are young. Adults can handle substrate and plants. BN plecos, sterbai and cardinals are good additions after a thorough QT. :)
Alot will depend on your exact setup.

MSD
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
No Oto cats with Discus, I have read many bad things about this combo with the Oto's eating the Discus' slime coat.