PDA

View Full Version : Amount to Feed & Cleaning bareTank Bottom

jgunja
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I am fairly new to discus, and wonder how much to feed adults, who are about 6". I feed the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp and beef heart, which are in the small cubes.

Also, how often should I clean the tank bottoms via syphoning. FYI, I do water changes every other day.

Thx and I appreciate you all

Joe

RyanH
01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
If you're happy with their size, I'd say feed 2-3 times per day what they can eat in a couple of minutes.

I syphon the bottom everytime I change water. It's not really that much more effort and then I don't have the waste fouling my water.

Harriett
01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I agree with Ryan and I would wipe down the sides and bottom of the tank as well at least 2-3 x week. It takes only a couple minutes.
HArriett

MSD
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
What do you clean the inside of the tank down with Harriet?

Harriett
02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I use a soft cotton cloth--I cut up an old dish towel, the woven kind, not the loopy kind. I also have one of those long sponge on a stick tools for the deep tanks. I have one for each tank. The stick tool also works for soft algae that I get sometimes in the African tank. For algae on the glass in the discus tanks I use an old credit card or a paint stripping tool that is a 5" razor blade on a 14" handle once in a while if the rag doesn't work.

Best regards
Harriett

MSD
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks, the cloth is good if it hasn't been washed with soap.

RyanH
02-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah, be careful of any cloth that might have soaps or detergents on them.

I like those Python cleaning mitts. I rinse them with hot water and they are cheap to replace when they get nasty.

GrillMaster
02-03-2008, 04:22 AM
I use handy wipes. They are cheap, come 5 to a bag and can be rinsed out an used a few times before moving to the next one. I believe they are $1.50 a pack an will last a couple a months.

tc
Mark

GulfCoastDiscus
02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I am fairly new to discus, and wonder how much to feed adults, who are about 6". I feed the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp and beef heart, which are in the small cubes.

Also, how often should I clean the tank bottoms via syphoning. FYI, I do water changes every other day.

Thx and I appreciate you all

Joe

Joe,
As long as you're siphoning the poop everytime you do a waterchange, once a week or so should be fine. I hardly ever do it.:)

MSD
02-17-2008, 02:59 PM
RyanH you hit the nail right on the head. I got the Python cleaning mitts right after I read your post and they are perfect for the cleaning job, clean up great and should last a long time. Thank you for that very helpful tip.! :)