PDA

View Full Version : Water Change with sink on upper Level

Chartreux03
01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I will be setting up a 150 tank soon and have been trying to figure out the best way to do water changes. My problem is my tank will be in the lower level walk out basement but my sink is on the upper level. My sink on the upper level isn't to hard to get to as its at the top of the steps. My water supply is from a well and has fairly good parimeters. I don't have any problems draining the water from the basement as I could just open the door. I would assume a python won't work from the upper level? Anybody have any ideas on a convenient way to do water changes?

White Worm
01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Just get an adapter that attaches to your faucet and has a nipple on the other end for your hose. The python adapter should work just fine.

curleyk2.0
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Do you have a hose anywhere near the outside door in the basement?

Chartreux03
01-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I do have an outside hose but that water would be pretty cold. A python would be able to drain the water to the upper level sink?

White Worm
01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
You may just want to get a water pump, attach the hose and then you would be able to send water upwards from the tanks to your sink. Drop the pump into the tank and turn it on.

Chartreux03
01-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Any suggestions on what pump I could use? Thanks

White Worm
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
With a BB tank, you could go with any water pump from the hardware store or a pond pump. You just have to be aware of the head pressure rating. Explain how far you want to pump the water when you buy one and make sure they know you are pumping upstairs indoors.

FishLover888
01-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Any pump that can send water up that high will be too strong for your fish. I don't think you should do that.

Why not just open the door and drain out the water that way.

As for the incoming water, your python should work from upper level since water goes down without any problem. You may need some additional hose to reach the tank, that's all.

Another issue you may run into is when to stop the tap water. It is a long way for you to get up there and you could either not have enough water in the tank or too much that will overflow. Maybe a shutoff switch close to the tank is good. The problem with that is it will increase the presure on the python for the time till you turn off the tap water, it my leak out water somewhere. Maybe a walkie-talkie or cell phone with someone at the upper level to tell him/her when to turn off the tap?

Chartreux03
01-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Fishlover I think I will do what you mentioned. I have been looking into putting a utility sink in my laundry room on the same floor as the tank. Thanks for the suggestions.

DiscusOnly
01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks Fishlover I think I will do what you mentioned. I have been looking into putting a utility sink in my laundry room on the same floor as the tank. Thanks for the suggestions.

If it was me, that would be the route that I would go with.

White Worm
01-31-2008, 05:54 PM
yup, me too.

Jhill
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Do you have any water lines in your basement? You could tap into them? Just a thought. I know if there is a way you will find it.

A Friend in discus
John

Chartreux03
01-31-2008, 10:11 PM
I got the water lines to tap into and the drain pipe is easy access. I will work on putting the utility sink in soon. The 150 x-high tank I ordered should be comming next week. Im looking forward to getting things started.

kirkp
02-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Couple of thoughts:
Do you have a floor drain anywhere in the basement? Most do and would work for draining the water to once you start a syphon.
Pump as indicated would certainly pump it upstairs to your sink. Use python to fill from upstairs. Go to Menards/home depot/whatever and get one of the garden hose repair kits and attach to the python. In the same area where the repair kits are they'll have cheap plastic ball valves. Attach to the hose repair fittings. Tank gets full, shut the ball valve. I've done it dozens if not hundreds of times and water has leaked but it was out of the bottom of the python into the sink.
Kirk