PDA

View Full Version : choosing driftwood

shabreeson
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I've had mixed information about my particular question. I am starting a discus tank and want driftwood in my tank. Near my house is a dead oak tree that is still standing. it has very dry wood and I was wondering if I were to shave down the bark and poky parts I could use it. I know that oak leaves are used for ph adjustment so I don't see why I can't use old dry oak branches that have been in direct sun-light for years.

Harriett
02-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I think you can--you will need to soak the piece [possibly for a long time] to get it to submerge--if it's a fat chunk, drill some 1/2" holes deep into the wood to help with saturationg the fibers more quickly. When I soak wood, I add a bit of bleach to the water--keeps ugliness from growing, sterilizes any creepy stuff on the wood, etc. Then when the log finally sinks, it needs some baths in clean water for a bit to get rid of all the bleach.
If the piece is not too terribly large, an alternative is to boil it--smells not great while you are doing it but you can have the job done in a few hours rather than maybe few mionths.
Harriett