PDA

View Full Version : Questions about new setup

element28
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi all, I'd like to have this setup and after reading all threads I still have few questions. Somebody could help ?

Setup:
-65g planted show tank (not heavily planted, something easy to clean)
-5 sub-adult/adult discus
-Eheim Pro II output 237g/h or 900L/h (model 262g/h or 1050L/h considered)

1- Is a build-in heater (in the Eheim filter) of 210 W enough ? I've read the best is 4-5W/hour but it's nice to have no heater in the tank. I guess the temperature must be more constant with a build-in heater than a submersible one?

2- Is the filter ok at 237g/h or 262g/h would make a difference?

3- What is the usual size of a sub-adult and an adult discus? 4'', 5 '' ?

4- If water is dechlorinated before WC, why should I aerate it while aging? Is it to remove the excess of CO2 and make it stable in the tank ? What should I use? Is a bubble pump ok ?

Many thanks !
Jonathan

White Worm
02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi all, I'd like to have this setup and after reading all threads I still have few questions. Somebody could help ?

Setup:
-65g planted show tank (not heavily planted, something easy to clean)
-5 sub-adult/adult discus
-Eheim Pro II output 237g/h or 900L/h (model 262g/h or 1050L/h considered)

1- Is a build-in heater (in the Eheim filter) of 210 W enough ? I've read the best is 4-5W/hour but it's nice to have no heater in the tank. I guess the temperature must be more constant with a build-in heater than a submersible one?

2- Is the filter ok at 237g/h or 262g/h would make a difference?

3- What is the usual size of a sub-adult and an adult discus? 4'', 5 '' ?

4- If water is dechlorinated before WC, why should I aerate it while aging? Is it to remove the excess of CO2 and make it stable in the tank ? What should I use? Is a bubble pump ok ?

Many thanks !
Jonathan
Depending on how planted it is, you could stunt them a little but it probably wont matter if you start with adults which is better for substrate and planted tanks. Adults can range in different sizes depending on how they were raised. You want an adult in the 5-6" or more. Do your research first before you decide on some. Pics here would be good or you could get them from the sponsors here. Number of discus sounds good and you could add a school of dither fish like cards and some cleaners.
Filter sounds good. I like to over filter which is why I put the XP3 on my 75g (9 adults).

As long as you can keep your tank in the mid 80's go economical.
Aerate the water to gas off C02 and oxygenate the water. Also helps stabilize pH after 24 hours. Bubbles or anything that circulates the water but you want to break the surface of the water. I have the return of my tank filter aimed at the surface and I have air in the tank (I dont age my water). I use prime with tap water.
I've heard good things about the inline heaters but I still have the in tank submersibles (marineland stealth). You could look at going with a sump and then you could put all the accessories in there.

Welcome to Simply!