PDA

View Full Version : leak in tank

bearcat
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I have had my discus for 2 months and they are in great shape,but i just discovered that the 65 gallon tank has a small leak in one of the corners on the bottom.
Can I fix the tank with water still in the tank or do I have to take all the water out to repair?
If I have to take all the water out I was things of putting the discus in 2 32 gallon storage tanks ,and replace the 65 gallon with a new tank as I can not wait for 24 hours for the silicon to dry,can you think of an other options.
Also I can either replace this tank with a 77 gallon 24"depth, same width and length for about $40 dollars more any suggestions.
My big question is how do I take my discus out and put them back with the least amount of stress?
Please I really need your help.
Thank You
Rick

judy
02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
go for the 77 gallon tank, Rick-- if you;ve beern bitten by the discus bug, you will eventually anyway.
I find my discus are very easy to catch as they always swim to the fron of the tank when i walk up, and they stay there, innocently awaiting food. One slow insertion of the net behind the one I need to catch and just gently swoosh it forward and the little guy's caught.
BUt you;re going to have to catch all your fish and after the first netting the rest will know something's up. Some people find it's easiest to catch them at night, with a very dim light, while they're asleep.
While your fish are "in storage" remember to keep the filters going and use the tank water for the storage if you can.

Don Trinko
02-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Talk to your LFS. I think I have seen a repair that can be done with water in the tank. Then buy another tank or maybe it's politicaly better to buy another tank ( Emergercy right?) then fix the old one.
Don T.

Graham
02-03-2008, 12:07 PM
If the leak is small and you know where it is, lower the water level somewhat and take a small amount of silicone and smear it over the area. The water pressure will force it into the leak and hopefully stop it.

Other than that off to get the 77 bigger is always better:D

2sybs
02-03-2008, 05:41 PM
In order for the silicone to adhere, the glass must be clean and dry.
Uncured silicone does not mix with water. Fact is it does not mix with water at all.
Ray

Graham
02-03-2008, 08:30 PM
That it doesn't mix with water is a good thing...it'll displace the water and fill the gap. No question that ideally it should be drained, dried and patched but I've fixed minor pin hole leaks many times this way..........

rick.c
02-03-2008, 09:28 PM
i have repaired many tanks the same way graham, said ,to use 100% pure silicone with the water still in the tank the preasure will push the silicone in ,i use to manage a lfs and used this method a lot

bearcat
02-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi:
So Graham you say I could used silicon on a small leak with water in the tank,how far should I take the water down before trying to fix the leak.
How much can you put on at one time ,can I do one end of my tank?
Can the tank suddenly lit go and completely break or will the leak just get bigger?
I am not losing very much water rate now, maybe 1/2 an ounce over a few days at present,nothing on the floor just a little water on the cabinet.
Another question ,this will not hurt the fish ah?
Thanks to everyone for you help, I am just very nervous about this and need all the help I can get,I have been keeping fish for over 25 years and this is the first time this has happen to me,off coarse now I have the discus I have always wanted.
Simply discus people please keep your suggestions coming,and if in the worst case that I have to take the fish out of the tank and put them back ,what is the best method.

Many Thanks
Rick

Graham
02-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi Rick You have to have a pretty good idea where this pin hole is...it's not like you can re-silicone the tank this way. Too much raw silicone in the water will hurt the fish

So a little dab on the right spot is all that's needed .

G

Apistomaster
02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I am not doubting the reports by others that in situ silicone worked for them but I sure wouldn't trust the method.

It so happens that I just took down a stand holding 2 30 Longs and three 20H. I put all the two mated pairs, one pair of adult Crenicichla regani, 6 Apistogrammas, 12 L333 Plecos and 25 Corydoras sterbai in a 33 gallon garbage can along with a couple of 100 watt heaters and an established large sponge filter driven by a MaxiJet Powerhead. They will have been set up this way for five or six days.
I'd recommend you do the same. I don't think you need two containers for the short time(24 hours) that it would take to fix the slow leak.

I set up a steel stand that will hold six 40 gallon breeder style tanks. All that's left to do is finish painting the wood platforms I built to use as the shelves and paint the back sides of the six new tanks.

You will save a lot of money if you go this route and your proposed tank will hold no more fish than the existing tank because the surface area will remain the same so why bother?

bearcat
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all you help,I think I have found the problem,this may help others if they think their tank is leaking.
It appears that condensation was forming between the plastic flora backing and the tank,my tank temp is 88F and the room temp in the family room is65F thought the day.The condensation went down the back on the outside of the tank then pooled at the far corner of the tank and dripped onto the floor.
I took the plastic backing of the tank and dried the out side of the tank off and left it overnight,when I checked in the morning there was no water to be found same the next day,but i well keep an eye on it and well let you know if things change.

Rick