PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to QT if no other discus?

happygirl65
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Do you need to QT the new discus if there are no other discus in the tank?

There are 8 neons and 6 kuhli loaches in the 46 gal planted display tank.

I wouldn't mind doing a QT but all I have is a available is a 10 gal and it is not cycled.

I think I could instantly cycle it by taking the filter media out of the established tank and putting it in the new filter, but is 10 gal even big enough for 6 2" discus?

Or would I be better off just putting them in the display tank and watching them closely?

Elite Aquaria
02-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I think I could instantly cycle it by taking the filter media out of the established tank and putting it in the new filter, but is 10 gal even big enough for 6 2" discus?

If you do that you add all the bacteria good and bad from your established tank. That would completely defeat the purpose of a QT period...Cycle your tank with fresh water and a new filter, then bring in the new discus...

judy
02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
But then, of course, when you introduce the discus to the 46-gallon, evenif they prove to be helathy during their own quarantine, they will then be exposed to whatever bad bacteria may be in there already, and will have to be treated for those issues should any arise...

Graham
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Ideal QT is that new fish are kept isolated for several weeks and then a guinea pig resident fish is moved over into the QT. This expouses the new fish to any resident pathogens and vise versa....better done in a QT than the main tank. It doesn't matter the species of fish as they are all capable of carrying the same pathogens.

Happy G, IMO a 10 gallon is too small for a QT for those fish. You should look at getting something at least double that size. If that is not possible then use your main tank, but be forewarned that if you need to medicate, you risk messing up the balance in that tank, let alone to the current residents.

G

Elite Aquaria
02-05-2008, 10:17 PM
But then, of course, when you introduce the discus to the 46-gallon, evenif they prove to be helathy during their own quarantine, they will then be exposed to whatever bad bacteria may be in there already, and will have to be treated for those issues should any arise...

The other thing to consider here is that if the fish are shipped they are a little stressed from the shipment. If put directly in with other fish this could lead to a possible breakdown of the new fish...If you QT them they can regain their strength then they will be ready to deal with any possible bacteria/pathogens in the new home...;)

happygirl65
02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Very good point(s)! :)
Thank you! :)

To any newbie reading this....it is ALWAYS a good idea to QT if for no other reason than to be able to carefully watch the new arrivals and treat them if necessary.