PDA

View Full Version : Enough filtration?

MD Bandit
02-13-2008, 10:00 AM
90 gal tank with gravel. Artificial plants and some driftwood.
Eheim 2217 loaded with ceramic noodles, blue pad, bio balls, white pad, charcoal pad, prefilter on intake also.. Also, have a Hydo 4 sponge filter running in the tank.
Tank will house 18 Cardinals, 7 Bronze Cory Cats, 4 Plecos and 6-7 Discus. Plan on 15% WC twice a week.
Do I have enough filtration? Water has all fish except Discus right now and is cloudy. Been about 2 weeks with fish in it. Bacteria bloom? Ammonia is up just a tad, nothing else though.
Leaning towards adding a Magnum HOT 250 top polish water.
You guys are great on here , so let the opionions rip.........

Tropical Haven
02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
What you have on the tank for filtration is fine but I would up your water changes on it to at least 25% water change 2 to 3 times a week due to your bioload that you will have in it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Harriett
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
You know, I think for a 90 gallon, you are a little light on filtration. Personally I have gained a propensity for overfiltering over the years with discus especially but with all my tanks, I guess; and have consistantly seen healthier fish and more sparkly tanks each time; When I look at the specs on a given filter in terms of gph and the maunfacturer's recommendation of filter size for given tank size, I always err on the way low and then some. .