PDA

View Full Version : Discus doing well - now planning...

wbzorker
02-15-2008, 09:34 PM
My first and second discus purchases have come out of quarantine and been merged to a group of 7 more or less 3 inch fish. They all seem to be doing well.

Assuming normal growth, when should I expect them to start pairing?

In a bare tank, with no territory to defend, how will I know when two have paired?

Thanks for all your help guys and gals. ;) I bought a total of 7 fish and months later I still have 7 fish. Pretty good for my first discus adventure. :) It never would have happened without all the constant support and posts on this forum. You can learn so much while lurking!

White Worm
02-17-2008, 01:43 AM
My first and second discus purchases have come out of quarantine and been merged to a group of 7 more or less 3 inch fish. They all seem to be doing well.

Assuming normal growth, when should I expect them to start pairing?

In a bare tank, with no territory to defend, how will I know when two have paired?

Thanks for all your help guys and gals. ;) I bought a total of 7 fish and months later I still have 7 fish. Pretty good for my first discus adventure. :) It never would have happened without all the constant support and posts on this forum. You can learn so much while lurking!

Maybe around 10 months to a year old. You will know :D

wbzorker
02-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Yikes, the largest of my juvies have paired and are laying eggs as I type.:shocked::D I'm thrilled and dismayed all at the same time. My hopes are to try to raise fry from one pair, but I've been spending all my time researching raising juvies and haven't even started on researching raising fry. The tank I'll move them to is a mature tank and still needs to have the current occupants moved out.

I'm totally flustered as you can tell :-) My quick question is - Can the pair stay in the main tank with the other juvies for a few weeks? I just plain need more time to figure out everything that I should be doing.

Thanks for your help. Wish I could pass out cigars to all you folks that got me here:)

GottaBeKiN
02-19-2008, 11:36 PM
When I raised my frys, I once let them stayed with the parents for over 1.5 months. A lot of people said it is not recommended because the frys might be damaging the parents too much when they eat the slime off their body. So most people will probably say no.