PDA

View Full Version : I got my new Discus!!!

wilddiscuss
02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi all,

Well I have gotten my new Discus yesturday. They seem a bit stressed as expected. I kept them in the dark until this morning. Though when I got a better look at them their slime coats seem to be a little rough looking. The little whiteness on the skin and it kind of looks like and some on the fins. I am thinking that is from shipping. I do have salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. They are swimming together staying in the corner for right now. Fins droped on the top and bottom and stress bars showing. Does this sound normal? Is there anything else I can be doing right now? The one larger discus comes out and swims to the front of the tank which is a good sign as well. Just let me know. Thanks :)

Todd

P.S. Will have pics as soon as they are a little less stressed.

happygirl65
02-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Todd,
Congratulations! I am new to discus too. :) Mine hid a lot the first day then started coming out. I ended up needing to medicate mine but they had a really hard road in shipping. Just keep watching carefully and keep posting. There are some awesome people here that are very helpful! :)

Don Trinko
02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
I had some BD that hid every time I came in the room for several months. More typicaly in a week or two they will be "normal".
When you do see them look for any problem sighns: fins getting worse not better, white poo etc. Try not to be paranoid, easier to say than to do! Don T.

wilddiscuss
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I had some BD that hid every time I came in the room for several months. More typicaly in a week or two they will be "normal".
When you do see them look for any problem sighns: fins getting worse not better, white poo etc. Try not to be paranoid, easier to say than to do! Don T.

Right. I know patience is the key. I will give them some more time. When does anyone suggest I start trying to feed? What should I start them with some frozen blood worms?

Todd

wilddiscuss
02-17-2008, 01:48 AM
One more question... when should I do the first water change?

Don Trinko
02-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Do the WC on a regular basis. The fish will get used to it. I do 40% twice a week. Some do every day. As long as the water is heated to tank temp and there is no clorine / cloramine or other problems too often is better than not offten enough. Don T.

White Worm
02-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Keep the water clean. Try to change 50-70% a week. Some change that daily. Wait 24 hours for them to settle and then try their favorite foods. Feed 5-8x a day if possible. They have small stomachs and are better off with numerous smaller feedings.