PDA

View Full Version : DOOH! Darn retrofit lighting project

tpl*co
02-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, I was getting pretty frustrated with my 2 bulb T5 lighting project with an Icecap 660 ballast. I checked the wiring diagram and made sure the wires were tight over and over, bulbs seated properly, etc. but it would only light one side for a second (the second bulb would glow at the end) then go out. I even switched the bulbs in case it was a bad bulb, but the same thing happend with the same side lighting and the other not so it wasn't the bulbs.:confused::angry: I was saying some pretty choice words and out of desperation I called my 15 year old son to look at the wiring diagram and the wires to see what could possibly be wrong.

Well, after looking at the diagrams he asked..."What model of ballast do you have?"

Well, I guess I was following the wrong page and was trying to wire for a 430 ballast instead of the 660 . Switched the wires and then it fired fine.

I have a science degree too, but I think this is the LAST DIY wiring project I'm going to do!

susantroy1
06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, I was getting pretty frustrated with my 2 bulb T5 lighting project with an Icecap 660 ballast. I checked the wiring diagram and made sure the wires were tight over and over, bulbs seated properly, etc. but it would only light one side for a second (the second bulb would glow at the end) then go out. I even switched the bulbs in case it was a bad bulb, but the same thing happend with the same side lighting and the other not so it wasn't the bulbs.:confused::angry: I was saying some pretty choice words and out of desperation I called my 15 year old son to look at the wiring diagram and the wires to see what could possibly be wrong.

Well, after looking at the diagrams he asked..."What model of ballast do you have?"

Well, I guess I was following the wrong page and was trying to wire for a 430 ballast instead of the 660 . Switched the wires and then it fired fine.

I have a science degree too, but I think this is the LAST DIY wiring project I'm going to do!

Remenber When all else fails....Call your son:D

Troy