PDA

View Full Version : When to move to a community tank?

Bigus Discus
02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi all,
First time post but long time lurker. This site is a wealth of information and has helped me tremendously. Thank you!
I have 5 discus from April/Hans that I've had for the past 9 months in a 55g BB and are about 4.5"- 5+" in size (TL). They've had nearly daily 60% water changes(learned that from this site) and are very healthy.
I plan to move them to a 135g partially planted/partially bare bottom tank when I get the stand built.

My question is is there a rule of thumb or best practice regarding how big or how old discus should be before moving to a community tank( 2 large clown loaches, 6 blue rams, 2 SAEs and 1 one year old discus)?
My concern is going from a 55g bare bottom daily 60% water change to a 135g 50% weekly water change.
Some pics attached of 2 Blue Diamonds, 2 Red Turqs and one snakeskin that I want to move.
Thanks again for a great site,
Pete

digthemlows
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Beautiful fish! I'm going to other way and have some 3.5" guys already in a community 125 gallon. I do a 50% 1 time a week with quick little bottom vacuums each day to get food and poop out of my sand. I also do a 20%-30% in between. I've read that 7-8 month old discus is about right to drop in a planted/community tank. I'm sure the experts will chime in with some great advice! I'd drop them in and enjoy them.

GrillMaster
02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi BD...There is no real set size or age for Discus to be transfered to a semi planted semi BB tank. It is preferred that juvies are grown out in BB tanks for the simple fact that they get fed massive amounts of food to get them to grow as nice an big as we possibly can. Thus the constant WC's. Once adults, which yours are there or close to it, can be transfered to a planted tank. The massive amounts of food is relaxed and they are fed normally. If you are happy with they way they have grown out, then transferring them to your 135G would be great.

Given the fact that the 135G is semi planted, you might want to do a couple of 30% WC's each week to remove waste and feces keeping your N03 an P04 in check. A densely planted tank will keep these in check easier than a semi planted tank will just because there are more plants to utilize the nitrates an phosphates. It is something that you will want to monitor till you have a feel for the tank. Each individuals tank is different so a definitive answer is hard to give. If your fish or plants start showing signs of stress then maybe the WC routine will have to be adjusted.

hth
Mark