PDA

View Full Version : First Discus Setup

edmoran77
02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Hello:

I just joined SD and have already learned so much. The amount of information on every topic is so amazing. Anyways to my question. I'm new to discus keeping (many other tanks Angels, etc.) but have started cycling my first tank for discus growout, barebottom. I thought I would post some photos of my setup to see if any of you had any suggestions or comments!

Equipment List

Aquarium Size: 56 Gallon Tall Barebottom
Heater: 250 watt Stealth
Canister filter: 304 Fluval (prefilter sponge/foam on intake, fluval prefilter, and fluval biomax, may add Chemi-pure when ready for fish)
Powerhead Maxi-Jet 1200 (with prefilter sponge/foam) will be using this for aging RO water mixed with tap water later to the desired TDS, will probably purchase a smaller model for the aquarium for added biofiltration, too much flow right now
Lighting: Standard Perfecto Lighting
Glass canopy

Water perimeters of aquarium so far:

pH: 7.4
TDS: 290 ppm ( I know this high but I will adjust this lower once tank is cycled) Using Hanna Primo TDS Meter for testing
Ammonia: 2.0-3.0 ppm (Cycling with fishless cycle Ammonia hydroxide and Cycle) I have added a small bag of old Tetra colorbits as well to aid with Ammonia production
Nitrite: .25 ppm (Cycling)
Nitrate: 0 ppm (Cycling)
Temperature: 85 F
The tank has been cycling for 7 days.

The next question is how many juveniles (6-8?) and from where?

Thanks-

Ed

Tropical Haven
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the site Ed, the first thing is if your using ammonia for your fishless cycle then don't add the tetra bits because those will only make a mess and the ammonia by itself is plenty.

Second is I would put six discus into that tank once it is fully cycled.

edmoran77
02-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the advise on the food. I've already taken it out.

GulfCoastDiscus
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
10 pcs.:) 2.5"

White Worm
02-24-2008, 01:19 PM
I would then contact the sponsors here after you decide which type you want.

alpine
02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Ed, great fun you are having with your setup. I am kind of a newby but here are some of my recomendations,
Split heater with two stealths of lesser wattage
Paint background -light blue
Put six -max seven to grow in that tank(buy all from same supplier)
RO water ??? straight tap can be good too.Your PH is good
Last but not least= Be Patient with your cycling, it takes a while.
Sponsors in Simply are abundant and reliable. take a pic at Jack's Dicus KC website,

Envy the start up process you are going through, it was lots of fun for me,
Roberto.
by the way you have lots of very knowledgable discus keepers your way in IA, MN and MO .

wxman12
02-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Ed, great fun you are having with your setup. I am kind of a newby but here are some of my recomendations,
Sponsors in Simply are abundant and reliable. take a pic at Jack's Dicus KC website,

Roberto.
by the way you have lots of very knowledgable discus keepers your way in IA, MN and MO .

I can't echo the PATIENCE with cycling enough. This is my second discus tank and I did the fishless cycle for the first time...but I guess I rushed it. I've lost 50% of my fish despite huge water changes twice daily. Don't rush adding the fish!!

edmoran77
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Roberto.

Thanks. I know that the heater has already been problematic. I've had to add an extra 200 watt Stealth I had instead. I was having trouble keeping temp at night (I guess cause I keep my house fairly cool at night). I've been having problems with the background simply because of the odd height required 30". Dr. Forster and Smith had a couple but really weren't appropriate. I'm looking for a solid black or blue background. May have to make my own.

Eyecandy
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi There..
You've gotten alot of good advice.... Just wanted to add that as to background... certain strains of discus have peppering (black spoting) and it appears less so with a lighter background.. I started with a black and then went to dark blue and now, since I have a mix of strains, I use the light blue styrofoam insulation sheets you can buy at the home depot.. It looks great, the discus colors seem brighter with the lighter background and it helps with keeping my 120 gallon tank heated. Good luck with your new setup. Discus are great fish and the more the merrier as to the better they interact with each other and with you... Be patient, do water changes and have fun with them... Sue

korbi_doc
02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
:D Hi Ed, welcome & have fun with these great fish! Like Sue, I also use the blue styrofoam insulation for tank backs, & like the look of the light blue..... I also have some painted backs, using American Accents stone creations, in blue/green & sandy beige for the bottoms....becuz the sprays are expensive, I put the 1st coat on & cover well, then go over it with a less expensive enamel of the same color...saves$$....just a thought.....

Dottie ;)

edmoran77
02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
:D Hi Ed, welcome & have fun with these great fish! Like Sue, I also use the blue styrofoam insulation for tank backs, & like the look of the light blue..... I also have some painted backs, using American Accents stone creations, in blue/green & sandy beige for the bottoms....becuz the sprays are expensive, I put the 1st coat on & cover well, then go over it with a less expensive enamel of the same color...saves$$....just a thought.....

Dottie ;)

I had never thought about using that blue insulation product. Does that stuff have text and symbols on it? What thickness do you use? How do you accomadate hang-ons like filters, etc. with that stuff being so bulky on the back? Overall a geat idea. I love the idea of adding insulation to the tank as well, hopefully taking stress off of the heater as well and maybe even conserving a little energy as well!

salth20
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks. I've been having problems with the background simply because of the odd height required 30". Dr. Forster and Smith had a couple but really weren't appropriate. I'm looking for a solid black or blue background. May have to make my own.

I've had this issue before too. Finally came to the conclusion to try paint.I masked the top and bottom rails of the tank with painters tape, cleaned the glass, and set to spraying with a couple of 88 cent spray cans of black. Two coats, and when the tank is filled, it's a beautiful black back. You could try this next time, before the tank is set up and in position. And just in case this has given any of you an idea, I absolutely do not recommend spraying paint anywhere near a "live "tank. Too much risk for contamination, either direct, or vapors through the air system.

edmoran77
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Well I went an entirely different route for the background, dark blue backboard which is used for picture framing. Comes in about every color under the sun, large pieces, and under $5 at Hobby Lobby and still have a large piece left to do my 30 gallon hex as well! I think it looks great, hopefully it holds up to all the water changes, if not I'm not really out much.

judy
02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I love that background color!

discus bob
02-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Great setup, like the background color. I think sealing the edges with tape may help keep water out.
It looks like the bottom is still clear glass which could freak the fish out. Seeing no bottom for a reference point or seeing their own reflection might create a problem. May be a little late to take care of now.... I've always painted the bottom with a sand or light brown paint.
Enjoy!

edmoran77
02-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Great setup, like the background color. I think sealing the edges with tape may help keep water out.
It looks like the bottom is still clear glass which could freak the fish out. Seeing no bottom for a reference point or seeing their own reflection might create a problem. May be a little late to take care of now.... I've always painted the bottom with a sand or light brown paint.
Enjoy!

Good idea about the tape! The top of the board would probably be the most susceptible to water damage and warping.

seanyuki
02-27-2008, 01:25 AM
I did my background light green paint and my discus from Kenny
who is also a sponsor here. You can never go wrong with Kenny's
fish and his commitments to his customers.
Here are some pics & sorry for my lousy photography.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0456.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0452-1.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0442.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0413.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0357.jpg

Cheers
Francis

Elite Aquaria
02-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Ed,

I like the color you picked for your background...mine is little on the lighter side but the deeper blue you picked looks better...

Good luck with your first tank...