PDA

View Full Version : PLASTIC WATER STORAGE DRUMS

RockHound
02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Can often be found cheap.

Try your local CRAIGSLIST.

Try local surplus/salvage stores.

Try local homebrew beer/wine making supply places.

Try your local phone book.

Most often, you can find something that suits.

Beware of used plastic drums from car wash places.
As, most contained liquid type soaps.
They are usualy OK, if you wash them out....well.
With a high pressure washer, at a DIY car wash.

curleyk2.0
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Dude you on the money. I typed in storage tank on Craigslist, within 2min I found a guy with a few of those gigantic 250G pallet tanks for $75 each.

Only thing is, they had antifreeze in them, can that be washed out?

FatFutures
02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Oooh, I'd be afraid of anti-freeze. I'd keep looking...

I hope to find another one, like the one we got to store water at the deer lease. 275 gallons, big plastic "cube, in a metal cage.

curleyk2.0
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah thats what it was, big cube in a metal frame, too bad they used antifreeze. Would a pressure washer take that out, crap probablly not?

FatFutures
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
I honestly don't know if you get all the anti-freeze out or not... Personally, I wouldn't risk it and keep looking. Depending on your needs, use a large plastic trash can until something better shows up?

Just seems like an awful risk to take with such a big investment. Ya know?

curleyk2.0
02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Oh yeah trust me, I follow you. I'm not going to be the one to find out! Just one of those things, so close... but so far. Plus it won't through the door! Too bad $75 would have been sweat!

Know what I mean?

RockHound
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
SADLY.........antifreeze = ethylene glycol

Which is a toxic poison.

I would NOT use any container that held antifreeze.

FatFutures
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110227942072&Category=146227&_trksid=p3907.m29

Check this out.

RockHound
02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Ebay has lots of storage tanks.
Just have to be carefull, about what was in them before.
The 275 to 350 G (about 4ft + square) ones would be costly to ship.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/placer_mines/300gtankstorage.jpg
But, if you could find one local.
They would be kick ***.

DiscusOnly
02-26-2008, 12:18 AM
I am still kicking myself for not bidding on these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300199435984&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

As I was watching the auction end, I kept on saying to myself "where would I put these?". It took me a day later to realize that I could have put these out in the curb if it didn't suit my need. the most I would be out would be less than $20 for 2 of these!

RockHound
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM
vlam,

Those went WAY CHEAP..

If they had been within 100 miles of me.
I would have bid.

Would fit perfect in my garage.

Elite Aquaria
02-26-2008, 08:55 AM
curleyk2.0,

Rent a truck and drive on down...I know someone who sells the 250 cubes with cage for $50 each...if you buy 10 he will sell them for $40. The use them to store biodegradable liquid detergent...I may pick up 2 later this week...;)

curleyk2.0
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Dan,

I go down to Davie from time to time to visit my Mom, I might have to hit you up on that. Truck is no problem.

But..I'm wondering now if one of those would fit through a door? I might not be able to get it in the fish room. Too wide, sucks cause I think I may have to buy one online that will fit through the door. I might end up replacing the door, on the outside of the fish room, but its a small door and I still don't think it would fit, even stripped down to the frame.

Do you have one of those Dan? If you do what is the skinniest dimension on it, can the pallets and cage thing be removed?

Brian Mc
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
It pays to look hard for this kind of items, I found a plastics supplier in Atlanta a while back who sold me super dense (injection molded I believe) 95 gal containers that just fit through a 30" door and had never been used. Used by environmental control agencies, these bins were designed to contain leaking 55 gal drums of hazmat type stuff he told me. Still got 2 of them I am hanging onto, don't know why. :idea2:

kirkp
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Another option: I went to a company that sells water softener systems. Quite frequently they have junk ones sitting in the back and the brine tanks are CHEAP. I picked one up that is a nice tan color with a slick finish, made of fiberglass. Comes with a lid and holds about 40 gallons. Paid $5.

Kirk

RockHound
03-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Whoot whoot.....:)
Just found a local guy with used blue 55G plastic drums.
They are the type, you can open/close the whole top.
Plus, top has threaded bung's.
Were used to ship some kind of corn syrup in.
$10 each.
Pays to check Craigslist every now & again.

Brian Mc
03-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Nice find!:thumbsup:

subcooler
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I found 95 g. wheeled trash cans(municipality supplied) for auto pick-up of trash.They are heavy duty & relatively cheap 50$.This is much cheaper than buying from home centers(90$).
If your town uses auto pick-up trash trucks you should be able to get one from them!
Just a suggestion
Rob

madfish
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I have been looking around and I just found a company that makes them. http://www.synergyplastics.net/Products/products_tanks_upright.html

Plus they are just right up the road from me just a couple miles away. Jackpot I would have to say on this find.

Peachtree Discus
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
...a plastics supplier in Atlanta...

I'm in the A. I'm in the process of overhauling my fish room. Care to share your find?

Thanks,
Wes

yogi
03-13-2008, 08:53 PM
If anyone in South Florida is looking for 55 gallon plastic drums, you can contact me. I can get them for you for $5.00 each thats right five dollars. They come from a bakery supply house I deal with, and they have only had corn syrup in them.

Brian Mc
03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm in the A. I'm in the process of overhauling my fish room. Care to share your find?

Thanks,
Wes
Hey Wes, this was 10+ years ago, I found him in the yellow pages under 'plastics' or 'containers' or something like that. I think he was 'the container depot' or 'warehouse', he didn't really do retail but was nice enough to meet me at his warehouse and sold me a couple. He had a huge place with all kinds of containers (lots of the big 250 gal cattle feeders & stuff). He seemed pretty big-time so he may still be around. I think it was down south somewhere but I used to go a lot of REALLY crazy places chasing discus gear. :D Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Apistomaster
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
These guys have 55 gal plastic barrels, guaranteed FDA safe for potable water, available with open top lids with water tight lid clamps. They can install bulkheads and faucets if you wish.
Sale items often include freight. Can't beat $5.00 but they may be just what some could use. I bought two for RO water storage because I had space constraints.
sales@baytec.net