PDA

View Full Version : got took buying on-line

crystalview
02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/crystalview_photo/RedDragonjuvi.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/crystalview_photo/discus_cobalt_red_dragon.jpg

I have one juvi discus that survived now for 3 weeks. He has filled out but his shape seems poor to me and his coloration is ugly with all the peppering. His tail and top/bottom fins are black. He is suppose to be a Red Dragon. I included the picture the seller posted and the fish I have. I need your honesty. He has survived when the other 3 did not. What will he look like if and when he gets older? I don't really care about high quality which he isn't. I feel I got took buying over the internet.
My father had a large tank of Discus but they were all adults. They died of old age. I am following what he did. I just don't know how this one will turn out. Never had juvi's. He is about 2.5"

GottaBeKiN
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Umm...I have a feeling that it will not turn out like that picture there. Best thing to do if you are buying online anyway is to check out this forum's sponsors. They all have good reputation, and you will definitely get what you see from them.

2sybs
02-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Looks like a well peppered PB, If anything the peppering on that "phishy" will only get worse.

aquagal
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
You are one in a long line of many who have been taken by Something Phishy and I am so sorry. Can't see how that fish will ever look like the one in the picture. I almost ordered the same fish from them but found this forum right before and decided against it.

I also purchased fish from another [more respectable] breeder and got a bunch of peppered fish. I was not thrilled with their appearance but at least they were healthy.

Kindredspirit
02-28-2008, 09:34 AM
You are one in a long line of many who have been taken by Something Phishy and I am so sorry..

Did he mention Something Phishy? Did I miss that?:o Or do you just.....know?

aquagal
02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
I recognize the photo from the Something Phishy website.

Kindredspirit
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Ah ha! Good move! Site still up is it?

Amazing.

tbrat
02-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Bait and Switch comes to mind upon seeing your pics. I truely hope that you were refunded all your money(including shipping charges) from that seller. If not, I'd file a complaint with your credit card company, if that is how you paid, in order to reverse those charges. I also think that I would go one step further to find out what legal action could be brought against that company for doing a highly illegal action of baiting and switching by sending you a fish that not only doesnt look anywhere near the one in the photo, but also is such poor quality and will most likely never look like the one in the advertised pic. Also filing a complaint with the BBB and ask question regarding the "bait and switch" and who else in that state, like the states attorney office", that would handle investigating fruad and consumer rip offs.
I do hope no matter what actions and steps that you take to correct your problems with your purchase turns out good. Good Luck to you! Take care,
brat

aquagal
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I've read on other threads that many people have already reported them to the BBB and they have a bad rating. Not sure how they are still around?

digthemlows
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I've read on other threads that many people have already reported them to the BBB and they have a bad rating. Not sure how they are still around?

I owned my own business for 6 years and was the operations director of another for 5...........BBB is a joke! They make thier money off of business paying dues and advertising rights. Honestly, how many people check BBB before buying? Plus a business can "contest" a complaint and almost always get it erased or dumbed down......

crystalview
02-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I will follow through on this. Thanks!

happygirl65
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Sorry for your loss. Similar thing happened to me. That pic was one of the ones that made me want to order from them so much. But I didnt order that variety. (Too expensive but I wondered if I had ordered the more expensive one if it would be better quality.)
My fish (the half of them that survived) look like they "might be" the mosaics I ordered but it is hard to tell sometimes when the are juvies. (Especially for a newbie)

It is doubtful that the peppering will go away and if it survived their shipping procedure it is probably strong, but may be stunted anyway. That doesn't mean it wont still be a good pet. :) At least that is what I am hoping for with mine.

Tropical Haven
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I would say their name suits them to a T, because it's sounds like something phishy is going on with that business.

MSD
02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
They sure have earned their name! :mad: The only online store I'd trust with discus is Sunrise tropicals, Tony is good and honest. Other then that use the forum sponsors, they are a known quantity. Oh, and NEVER go by a picture unless its of the exact fish you are buying, look up mike heppler for that story.....

White Worm
02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Ouch! I'd say it is probably already older than you suspect. It probably will never be anything more than it is now. It may even pepper further as it grows or gets older. Keep it in a tank with very light background and see if it improves. So many stories of rip-off coming from somethings phishy....:mad: As long as there are inexperienced people out there to buy, there will always be that one artist who takes advantage of the situation. The best we can do is get the word out.

Don Trinko
02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Something phishy does have a horrable reputation.
I prefer to pick up fish in person. A 2 to 4 hour drive in your vehicle is a lot easier on the fish than an airplane ride and a truck ride by someone who doesn't care.
You would be surprized how many reputable sellers that will let you come and pick out your own fish and take them home with you. I have at least 4 within 100 miles of my house. I have been to three of them.
When you buy young fish it's nice if you can see the parents. Young fish do not normal have full color/pattern untill they are near adult and they do not always end up looking like the parents.

dpt8
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry for your experience. The good news is that you have found this sight and have found quality fish sooner than some of us.. The sponsors here are the best and sell the best quality, healthy discus.. The pics of what they are selling right on and packaging is awesome. I also have found that when they advertise a certain size discus they are selling, you probably could add half an inch to them.. YUP !! Great people, great discus.. PM-mail me anytime..David T

leo1234
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
i bought from something phishy their fishes are not that good but i did buy the assortted ones so i can't say they are the best place to buy from at least there shipping is on time i'm probably the only one with a good transaction with them considering that all of my 10 discus did survive but they did look stunted sorry for your bad trans.

poconogal
02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I recognize the photo from the Something Phishy website.

Me too! Unfortunately Somethings Phishy will probably never close down... :(

jeep
02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Contact your credit card company and ask for a reversal of charges. This is fraud!

Apistomaster
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Here is what I got from somethingsphishy as "Fire Dragons." I bought six and all grew out well and all look like the photo. Of all the discus I have, this is the type people get most excited about. I sold the adults because I know they are Asian imports and I no longer waste my time with Discus from Asian discus farms. Serious problems with sterility. Not good if you are a discus breeder but they can make good display fish.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/DSC_9821.jpg

Lee C
02-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I would say it has more to do with the individual seller vs. the country of origin. JMO;)

brewmaster15
02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
This is really a bummer to read about..I'm sorry for anyone that has one of these experiences.:(

We have a section on the board for first hand experiences with livestock and merchandise...good or bad feedback.. Using it may help someone else find a good seller or avoid a bad seller.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

In fairness to all...please post First Hand experiences only though.

Thanks all!!

-al

Upper Canada
02-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope that this negative experience does not prevent you from moving forward and enjoying this hobby. With the help from this forum you should have no trouble getting some discus and raising them to old age just like your father did.

Bob

theboss11111
02-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm not going to knock the Asia imports just yet. I bought 4 LSS from Kenny, who said they were Asian imports, and they are all doing great. Really nice looking fish, healthy, eating well, and filling out nicely.

Does anyone else have fertility issues with Asian farmed fish? I ask because these guys are all about 5" and I think will mature pretty soon.

Thanx,
Ted

Elite Aquaria
02-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I sold the adults because I know they are Asian imports and I no longer waste my time with Discus from Asian discus farms. Serious problems with sterility. Not good if you are a discus breeder but they can make good display fish.

I disagree with this point 100%. All of my fish originated from Asian lines and all are breeding...The issue is not where you get them but rather who you get them from. It is not fair to stereo type that all Asian fish are sterile.

Back to the original post...sorry about the mishap with your first discus experience...Stick around here read and ask a lot of questions and I am sure that your next experience will be a positive one.

Imperialdiscus
03-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I disagree with this point 100%. All of my fish originated from Asian lines and all are breeding...The issue is not where you get them but rather who you get them from. It is not fair to stereo type that all Asian fish are sterile.

Agreed.

I have personally imported a lot of asian discus, and have never had problems with sterility.

ShinShin
03-06-2008, 01:21 AM
I agree with Dan and Imperial. I have purchased Asian fish many times through Ray Kosaka and have never had a sterility problem.

Sorry about your bad experience. Be better prepared next time. People here know the "who is who" end of the discus world. Don't buy from an unknown source to you. I doubt you'll find a better supplier than you'll find here.

Mat

GulfCoastDiscus
03-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm so sorry for your bad experience. This is why I provide pics of the actual fish for sell to avoid issues like this.

rogge26
05-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I to almost bought from somethings phishy. The pictures of the discus looked so beautiful in the pictures. They also claimed they got their fish from a very high quality breeder in, I think it was Europe. Luckily I decided to google somethings phishy before buying from them. You would not believe how many people had bad things to say about somethings phishy. I did not find one positive review of that place.
Intead, I decided to place an order with Al Johnson from Rocky Mountanin Discus. Man am I glad I did. Rocky Mountain Discus had nothing, but good reviews. When my discus arrived, they looked better than anything I had seen in any LFS. I have had them for about three weeks now and they have really colored up and have good shape and nice high fins. They look better than any of the pictures on the Rocky Mountain Discus website and they are still juveniles; about 3 to 3.5 inches long. They are also eating like pigs and are extremely active. They even always swim to the front of the tank to greet me when I walk into the room.
I would reccomend buying from Rocky Mountain Discus to anyone. Al was also very responsive after the sale. When I recieved my discus, he must have called at least three time to ask how they were doing.
Thanks Al for some wonderful disus.

Dying for Discus
05-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Aww...if it makes you feel better, I don't think he's THAT ugly! Sure he has peppering and you probably don't want to breed him, but he looks very sweet. :D Spend a lot of time with him and he'll be your friendly "black sheep" of the tank...

I have a soft spot for ugly discus. :D

alxjss
05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Sorry for ur experience. When I found this site, I started looking around the internet and saw the prices there. I was amazed and thought, "Huh". So i asked here on the forum, and they "saved me".... Thank u Simply!!!
I had a juvie i bought from Dan of Elite Aquaria. Actually, i won the auction so i got 6 plus Dan is sooo sweet he threw me in another one. He was pretty peppered when he was a juvie, but no more. He has faint peppering and u really have to look to notice. He is the "prettiest fish of them all" Thanks Dan!!!!;)

noshow discus
06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
sorry you didnt get what it was you were after.....but i would take that fish if offered up cause well i am a sucker for the NOshow Discus.
but it isnt right that what you got is nothing like what was offered.

crystalview
06-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Just an update. My 3 discus are not very nice but they are very friendly even with their misshape and bad color. They are now 5". I wish I had high quality but these have grown on me with their separate personalities. I will keep these and someday buy from a reputable dealer. Live and Learn

CliffsDiscus
06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Crystal,
Your are between Sac and Reno, come on down to SF in the next couple of weeks and I will
give you some free Discus fry, but you need a quarantine tank as these are homebred Discus.

Cliff