PDA

View Full Version : Can T5 light fixture use T5HO bulbs as well?

wilddiscuss
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a light fixture on my tank and the bulb just went out. Can I buy a T5HO bulb to replace it?

Please let me know!

Thanks,
Todd

Bobears
03-01-2008, 12:55 AM
If your saying your have the normal bulb and want to replace it with the HO then NO. You can't put a 100w bulb in a 40w fixture. However you can go the other way around, 40w bulb in a 100w max fixture. I'm right, right?

phidelt85
03-01-2008, 03:43 AM
No, I think you got yourself backarsewards. :D If you put a 40W bulb in a 100w fixture, you'd probably have an explod-a-pop. That would really suck since your probably looking right at the bulb while trying to install it.

Don't quote me Todd, but if you bought a T5HO bulb for a NO fixture, it should light up but it won't be as bright. I don't know if it would shorten the life of the bulb.

judy
03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I had the reverse question and asked an electrician friend: you can put a regular T5 bulb in a T5HO fixture. I did. It works fine. You can also put a T5HO in a regular T5 fixture. I haven't tried that, but electrician friend says all it will do is make the T5HO bulb less bright.

Graham
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
HO Bulbs need HO ballasts or they won't light properly...just not getting enough juice

Normal bulbs are fine on HO ballasts...I've been running them that way since I closed down the reef several years ago

wilddiscuss
03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
HO Bulbs need HO ballasts or they won't light properly...just not getting enough juice

Normal bulbs are fine on HO ballasts...I've been running them that way since I closed down the reef several years ago

Well I must have HO ballasts because it's been working for 24 hours now...lol. The bulbs that were in there didn't say T5 or HO or anything...so they are working...yay! Thanks everyone!

Todd