PDA

View Full Version : Temperature?

Bobears
03-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Does anyone keep discus below 84? I just bought 7, will post pics soon, and would like to keep them at 82 max because of plants. If I'm not planning to breed and don't care if they grow 100in in a year is this ok? I thought I remember reading they naturally live in 79-84 water anyway. Of course I will do what ever is needed, it just seems there may be two schools of thought going on here ie. breeder vs. display.

AADiscus
03-01-2008, 09:07 AM
You can keep them at 82 but I would not go any lower.

Dissident
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
it just seems there may be two schools of thought going on here ie. breeder vs. display.

Well for my two schools of thought, a display tank should have the best looking fish possible in it. Once the fish are adults then they can be kept ~82F. If you are growing out fish for your planted display I would recommend based on experience and growing discus out in a planted and BB tank would be to invest in a 55gal, make that a grow-out and pick the best looking, largest fish for your display tank.

Besides who wants a bunch of stunted ugly fish in their display tanks?

Or just chose to buy full-grown adults from a reputable breeder and you don't have that problem.

If you want to keep discus in a planted tank you need to make sure the plants can handle 82F-86F, if you have high light, CO2, regular fert and maintenance routine you should have no problems with the vast majority of plants out there.

judy
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
My display tank has half-grown juvies in it and is moderately planted, and is at 85 with no plant problems at all....

ShinShin
03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
82F is fine for discus. I have bred them at temps as low as 78F and as high as 88F. The fish showed no ill effects at 78F, but I am not inclined to keep discus at temps that low as the norm.

Mat