PDA

View Full Version : Extreme skittishness

geleen
03-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I purchased 5 adults for a 65 gal in December 07. My first Discus.
There are some other small tetra's in the tank.

Since then it has been a constant problem in that when ever I come near the tank they can't get away fast enough. They must have a constant headache from hitting the sides of the tank, it is that extreme.
When no one is around ...after 1/2 hour, they seem fine, bickering, eating etc.

Now I read extensively here and elsewhere, tried many things,but nothing helps. I also have another 4 tanks with various other tropicals, and there is no problem there.

Three things come to mind:

1./ I am a very tall and strike a large and imposing figure. Perhaps my "giant" image to the fish is all it takes to be that scared, or

2./ I have a lot of experience with breeding, training and showing dogs and the fish seem to act as if they have been somehow neglected during the early stages of life and they are stunted at the level of human interaction, which I observed with dogs from time to time.
During water changes they just cower in the corner and sometimes I move one by hand to vacuum the gravel.

3./ Get rid of these fish and get new adults......but will I have the same experience? This is an expensive choice.

I am coming to the end of my discus keeping, the frustration level is high,and I hope that there is some help so I can change this.
Thanks
John

digthemlows
03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I can maybe only help the the "large" factor as I'm 6'7" 250lbs and my fish come running up to me when I come near the tank. Otherwise, I don't know why they would be afraid of you? My tank has lots of fish swimming and going crazy all of the time (clown loaches, rosy barbs, large SAE's, 40 tetras) and the discus just ignore it all.

Don Trinko
03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Shadows of you may be the problem. Tanks at a low level have this problem more than tanks that are eye level. When the tank light is on it bothers them less. I have a low tank and the fish are skidish if I aproach it from above but when I'm cleaning the tank I can touch them and they don't mind. Don T.

theboss11111
03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
the first thing to do is check your water parameters. I've had experiences where they act that way if water is not right.
Next, what kindda lighting do you have? Some discus tend too be shy at first with too much light.
If all else fails, try CBWs, I've gotten many of my discus to get used to me with those worms.

good luck.

AADiscus
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Is your tank painted or have a background on it. Make sure it is on the back and both sides of the tank. Sometimes if the bottom of the tank is mirror will spoke them also. You really need to check your water parameters and are you consistent with the water parameters on each wc? How often are you doing wc's and there temp should be 84-86. I would say 86 if they are acting like this. Make sure you are cleaning your filters and wiping the tank down also.

You can also try feeding them fbw from your hand. They will get used to you doing this and then every time you go to the tank they think they are getting fed.

geleen
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Glad there are other very tall folks with happy discus:) LOL

The worst problem is in the morning, even though the light is on for 30 min before I see them (done on purpose) because I noticed some time ago that early morning is somewhat worse than evening.
WC are 2x week 30% and 50 % . Perhaps the light 96 watts on a 65 gal tank is a problem? Or the way the lights in the room cast shadows? They do have a single moonlight on at night.

I have made some changes:

I have taken the, by far, worst ,easiest spooked fish out of the tank and put her by herself for a few day’s just in case she sets everyone off. She(?) is NOT happy :mad:

I have taken the temp to 85 from 83,today, and will go to 86 tomorrow.

I am going to be consistent in aging the water; this was not always the case.

I am going to leave a small light on in the room at night.

J.

aquagal
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Your question gets asked alot (about skittishness) and I asked it myself. I have 5 juvenilles I have had since November and they are still very skittish and hide a lot when I appproach the tank. I have another 6 juvenilles in another tank that I got from another source and they are bold and never shy? Not sure if it's genetic, not sure if it's environmental?

I would say don't tip toe around them and make too many concessions. Hopefully, they will come around!

Oh, and the light thing, I don't think it matters. My light was broken for about a week (so only ambient light in the tank) and it made absolutely no difference in their behaviour.

ShinShin
03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
If your nitrites are zero, what are you wearing? Seriously. If I approach my tanks with a black or other dark colored shirt, my discus will scatter terrified. This is especially true in the lower placed tanks.

Mat

geleen
03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I want to thank all that responded! Your comments were right on the mark!

Another success story with consistent water quality and twice weekly changes. (30 and 60 %)

Aging the water and not mixing tap and softened, and raising the temp to 85 from 82 fixed the problem.
Only problem is that now I want more discus :)
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
John

Apistomaster
03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
If your nitrites are zero, what are you wearing? Seriously. If I approach my tanks with a black or other dark colored shirt, my discus will scatter terrified. This is especially true in the lower placed tanks.

Mat
Hi Mat,
We share the same experience with dark clothing around discus tanks, especially when putting a jacket on, that can send discus into hiding.

I have fond that using Purigen in the filter system of wild discus tanks reduces their flighty behavior. I'm not sure how or what it really does except that it works.

Palue
03-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem with my saltwater nano tank right now. But my discus tank I don't. Hubby made me a stand many years ago out of oak. When I walk into the room I am eye level with my tank. They don't see legs but my whole body and face first.

Discus being shy fish to begin with and I only have one very very large discus this would be worse than a group of 5 but with the tank being eye level he is waiting for me everyday and the front of the tank.

There have been the odd times that when the kids are play fighting in the same room it has spooked him but other than that and a 2x4 across their heads all is fine.

I am going to get hubby to build me a stand for my saltwater that raises them up a bit too. So if there is a way that you could put you tank on a higher stand this "might" help your problem.

:angel:

ShinShin
03-25-2008, 02:24 PM
The purigen is interesting. I associated the behavior as instinctual.

Mat

Apistomaster
03-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi Matt,
Most of the panic reactions are instinctual. I have wondered if Purigen doesn't remove the so-called "fright substances" release by frightened fish that do not become diluted in the closed system of an aquarium.

The difference is really noticeable with Heckels since they are especially easy to spook.
You might try a 100 ml bottle and see if it makes any difference to you? The stuff is rechargeable, apparently forever.