PDA

View Full Version : Optimal TDS for just growing out and keeping discus

edmoran77
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Hello All:

I'm expecting my first discus next week from Dan at Gulf Coast Discus now that my tank is just completing its cycle. My question is in regards to the optimal TDS and GH. What is the optimal TDS and GH for growing out and just keeping discus? Tap water in this area is over 25 GH and 350 TDS and I'm planning on a blend of RO/DI and Tap to get it into the optimal range which has been aged and heated. Any advise would be great! I just can't wait for my new arrivals!

Elite Aquaria
03-06-2008, 09:49 PM
For grow out you can use your tap water...350 TDS is fine..

edmoran77
03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I was going to shoot for something between 180 and 280 ppm.

RyanH
03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
You don't need to mess with your water for growing out juveniles. The only time RO is really needed is for breeding. The softer water allows for higher hatch rates.

I've found my growth rates to be better in straight tap water.

Tropical Haven
03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Don't mess with your water, use straight tap water and if possible keep it in a holding tank and treat with Prime and heat it to the same temp as your tank.

Don Trinko
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
My tap is 700 tds, gh 14, kh 22 and ph 7.6. I mix 50/50 with ro. Tank tds is typicaly 350 to 400 or more. Mine grew fine. Don T.

kaceyo
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Many people actually add calcium and magnesium to their growout water if it's very soft. It's a myth that discus only do well in very soft water, although if you have a choice, it's easier to make soft water into hard than the other way around. And as said above, it's needed for breeding.

Kacey

edmoran77
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
So I guess the general consensus is that the following water parameters from the tap will be fine for growing out my new arrivals:

Aged 24 hours, and to correct temp, prime added
Daily water changes of 50%

pH: 7.6
GH: 12
KH: 4
TDS: 218

Too bad I already bought the stupid RO filter but maybe I'll be lucky and can use it for breeding later!:)

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get my new arrivals this coming Friday!:)

RockHound
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Don't spring to action simply because a textbook says the optimum pH for your fish is X, and your water tests out at 7.6.

As long as the pH is STABLE, and the fish show no signs of distress.
It's best to leave the pH at it's natural level.

Fish can adapt to most pH levels, if not broadly out of their range.
But they can’t adapt to bouncing pH values, which often prove injurious or fatal.

If the fish are not thriving, and pH testing shows a rapid up or down trend.
The problem should be addressed.

Having an R/O unit is a good thing.
You can add “some” R/O water whenever, to lower pH.
Especially, come breeding time.

plecocicho
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Those are all american metods, here is an euoropean wiev of your question. I presume you will get hibrids, not wild discus, right? Your water must have a pH of 7 (better 6,5) and Gh of 5-8, maybe 10 dGH and KH of max 4. Use lightly palnted aquarium with sand as a substrate and very efficient filter, because discus apreciate clean water. 50% wc of normally stocked aquarium is nonsense, because then you do not need a fliter! Do max 30% of wc every week or two weeks, depending on your stocking. Measure parameters of nitrite and nitrate, to know, when to do wc. More acid and soft water will help to alower number of microbs and your discus will readilly spawn in your show tank, before you add them to breding tank. I agree with fellow american discus keepers, use always the water with same parameters, that you allready have in aquarium.
lp

White Worm
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Your water must have a pH of 7 (better 6,5) and Gh of 5-8, maybe 10 dGH and KH of max 4. lp
Maybe for breeding but not for keeping. They will do fine in higher levels for just keeping discus. Mine has been pH8 gH and kH 9-11 for years. I lower it with RO for breeding.

edmoran77
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM
So the wait is almost over!

Just finished my cycling and added the last of the ammonia tonight and will do a 100% water change with aged/to temp tap water and Prime tomorrow evening! I was having trouble getting any of the suction cups to stick to the inside of my Brute Rubbermaid holding tank, but used a long piece of plexi-glass to mount the heater, powerhead, and thermometer sensor on to it. It worked out pretty nice. What I really like about it is that it keeps the heater off of the plastic and right out in the middle of the water so no chance of melting against the side and the whole assembly can be removed easily.

Here are my current tap water conditions for the water (any other suggestions):

pH: 7.4
GH: 11
KH: 4 (did add 1.5 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate to new water to raise slightly)
TDS: 212
Temp: ~85

I'll get some pics posted once they arrive and settle in.

Thanks again for everyones help and guidance!:)

Hans Kloss
03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Those are all american metods, here is an euoropean wiev of your question. I presume you will get hibrids, not wild discus, right? Your water must have a pH of 7 (better 6,5) and Gh of 5-8, maybe 10 dGH and KH of max 4.

You are not enough european ;). The proper pH for discus keeping is about 5.5 with kH between 0 and 1 . Keeping discus in soft and acidic water s easier than keeping guppy's ;).
Hans

pcsb23
03-19-2008, 01:09 PM
You are not enough european ;). The proper pH for discus keeping is about 5.5 with kH between 0 and 1 . Keeping discus in soft and acidic water s easier than keeping guppy's ;).
Hans:D:D I wouldn't disagree with this.

kaceyo
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Hans,
With such a low KH how do you keep the pH stable? Do you use daily water changes?
Thanks,

Kacey

Brian Mc
03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Then I am definitely not European. Neither is Hans then, must be why he moved to America. :D

Edit: Meaning the other Hans, the now-American one lol. Too many Hans'es around here.

Hans Kloss
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Hans,
With such a low KH how do you keep the pH stable?

I don't care about pH stability, but acidic pH is in fact quite stable, daily pH changes are +/- 0.2 which cannot harm fish even more delicate than discus. Of course I notice constant slow pH diminishing due to the nitric acid production. For this reason pH must be corrected each 2-3 days by addition of small amount of basic tap water. Of course I don't believe all these legends about so called "pH crash"- it is not possible in balanced, not overcrowded tank.

Do you use daily water changes?

I use monthly water changes ;). OK, sometimes I do WC each 2 weeks. With low pH and healthy fish in balanced tank there is no sense to do frequent WC.
Hans