PDA

View Full Version : Black dots on skins

torch
03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm new to Discus, what are the black dots on Discus, will they go away eventually? I see alot of Discus has them in pet store. I see some of it on my Discus also.

Is it just pigmentations?

White Worm
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
yes.
It will come and go with stress and dark backgrounds. Its the pigeon strain of discus that you will see this with. Some are worse than others and its considered to be an eye sore for most people. Minor peppering is ok for some.

torch
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
So its common but chance it may or not go away? What are average owners experiences. Does your go away or not?

White Worm
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I dont have any pigeon based fish because of that reason. It may be less with lighter colored environments/backgrounds. It may never completely go away.

torch
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
That sucks if they don't go away. Should I just avoid buying new Discus that has these black dots? Guess its taking a chance that they may or may not go away?

aquagal
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I guess the black dot issue is a trade off. IMO, pigeon-based discus can be some of the most beautiful. I can tolerate a little bit of peppering, but like most don't like a lot. The peppering on my pigeons shows up when they are stressed (like stress bars on other strains). When they are not stressed, you can hardly see anything on most that I have.

torch
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
what about black dots on Red Marlboro?

Lee C
03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
yes.
It will come and go with stress and dark backgrounds. Its the pigeon strain of discus that you will see this with. Some are worse than others and its considered to be an eye sore for most people. Minor peppering is ok for some.

He's right...

Use the light blue background in a bare bottom tank with pigeon blood for best peppering elimination.
Planted tanks with gravel are asking for the pepper to come out in the PBs, plus you stunt the growth 9 times out of 10.
A little pepper is okay with me but some folks are really a little too "picky on pepper" imo;)

aquagal
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a Red Marlboro with a good amount of peppering and his never goes away. His peppering does not bother me at all because it runs down the top of his body to his black tail. Actually, it's nice.

torch
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Aquagal,

Did your Red Marlboro peppering before you buy it? Just curious and thanks for feedback.

aquagal
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
The red marlboro I got through the mail as part of a "mixed discus" special from Discus Madness. And, yes, he had spots when I got him. Actually, all the fish sent had considerable peppering which really disappointed me and is why I will probably not order from them again. But, I digress.

I have some pigeons that I have ordered from 2 other sources that showed very minimal peppering when they arrived (2 silver pigeons and 1 checkerboard pigeon). All three fish do display peppering from time to time (and it can be considerable). However, most of the time, you really don't notice the peppering (I have a white sand substrate) and they are quite beautiful...really some of my favorites.

sherry

torch
03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I got my Discus also from DiscusMadness, actually I pick it up myself because they are withing driving distance. No peppering when I got them, one start to a little now. Good experience with their Discus overall.

aquagal
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I think Matthias at Discus Madness is a good guy and has nice fish. I just felt a little mislead by their "specials". I expected to get a selection of fish from what he shows on his website. Instead, I got a bunch of very peppered and ugly fish not even mentioned on his site. I suggested to him he specify on his web site that you could get anything...he did not take my advice? Buyer beware...I should have asked!

I think his fish are healthy otherwise. His fishroom looks nice and clean and orderly.

Best of luck!

torch
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Sherry, I been to his place and its very clean and fish well taken care of, but I agree with you that sometimes buyers have to be careful. That is why I hate to buy them by mail.

aquagal
03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Can you post a pic of your fish from Discus Madness? Here is a pic of mine...BTW, he's the only one left. All the others died :(

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh129/gern6529/CIMG0827.jpg

torch
03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I got a young Discus from DiscusMadness they that breed as Apricot,which is suppose to be orange color when fully grown. Right now its light without much coloring. I don't have any Red Marlboro yet. Planing on adding Red Marlboro and Red Melon later.

See the coloring that is going out on yours and the black background really brings out the colors.

I won't post pics, because mines are still young and don't have much coloring. They don't look at all like the photos on the website.

I got two from DiscusMadness, the Arpicot and Blue Diamond

torch
03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Here is a pic of Apricot

aquagal
03-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Your apricot looks nice. The pic is small, but I don't see peppering.

torch
03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
He has some peppering starting between his eyes and up. Not easy to take pics because they are still shy and with lighting on, they hide behind the plants. Just got them last Friday!

jgentry
03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Why is peppering considered such a negative. I see a lot of the marlboro and pigions that have a lot of peppering. One of my discus that I ordered online with an assorted group (didn't get to pick my strands, just got whatever they sent), has a ton of peppering and he's only 3 1/2 inches. I think it looks fairly cool like this. It is bright orange with black fins and quite a bit of peppering. I guess most of you would consider it a poor quality discus, but I don't see what the huge negative is. I can see why some fish would look better (mostly some of the pigions) without peppering, but on some of the more solid red and orange fish I don't see it as a negative at all.

Why is peppering so vastly hated?

aquagal
03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
It's a personal preference.

White Worm
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
A little is not bad looking. Some are pretty bad.

Lee C
03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Why is peppering considered such a negative. I see a lot of the marlboro and pigions that have a lot of peppering. One of my discus that I ordered online with an assorted group (didn't get to pick my strands, just got whatever they sent), has a ton of peppering and he's only 3 1/2 inches. I think it looks fairly cool like this. It is bright orange with black fins and quite a bit of peppering. I guess most of you would consider it a poor quality discus, but I don't see what the huge negative is. I can see why some fish would look better (mostly some of the pigions) without peppering, but on some of the more solid red and orange fish I don't see it as a negative at all.

Why is peppering so vastly hated?

They are either clean or dirty(peppered is the polite verbage).
Most discus folks are seeking perfection, water, filtration, size of discus, color, shape, thickness and on pigeon bloods-Lack of Pepper:D.