PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural British Discus Show! - BIDKA

pcsb23
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I am very excited to announce that BIDKA will be holding the inaugural British Discus Show later this year.

At the moment we still have many details to finalise, but this is the "plan" at this time.
Location - Bristol
Date - the weekend of 14th through 16th November 2008As this will be at the same time we are celebrating our second birthday (on the 13th November 2008) We are looking at plans to have some form of celebration on the Friday night. As details become known we will of course share them.

After some debate we have decided that holding our own event is more in fitting with our objectives and ambitions.

We have a dedicated website, which contains the latest news, information and guides. The address for this is www.british-discus-show.com (http://www.british-discus-show.com/) and is constantly being updated so keep checking!

LizStreithorst
03-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I'll be there. I absolutely cannot wait. Who else?

steve.ryall
03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Me..........I'm going too :D

Paul Lucas
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Ange & I are also going and we will be taking a trade stand. Liz, as I've said before, I applaud your decision to come over and support the BIDKA cause - you're a star!!:):)

Paul:)

Harriett
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Paul,
this is so wonderful and I applaud you for going for it--I wish I could get across the pond to come and would if I could. I hope it is a complete success!
Best regards
Harriett

brewmaster15
03-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Paul and Crew,
Its great that you guys are trying to put this together....the more shows out there, the better the chances of introducing people to Discus!Best of luck with the whole production!:)

Someday I would like to make that trip across the pond and meet up with all of you... Novembers a good way off so who knows?:)

If I can help in any way...Please let me know!

-al

pcsb23
03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Paul,
this is so wonderful and I applaud you for going for it--I wish I could get across the pond to come and would if I could. I hope it is a complete success!
Best regards
Harriett
Harriet, I hope it's a success too! You would be made very welcome if you do make it over :) Thanks for the good wishes.

Paul and Crew,
Its great that you guys are trying to put this together....the more shows out there, the better the chances of introducing people to Discus!Best of luck with the whole production!:)

Someday I would like to make that trip across the pond and meet up with all of you... Novembers a good way off so who knows?:)

If I can help in any way...Please let me know!

-al

Thanks Al.

This show is aimed at the hobbyist, the UK needs a proper showcase, and this is what we will provide. We already have a number of speakers lined up and whilst there are some details to be finalised we are confident that the quality of the people giving talks alone will be worth coming for!

And if in some way you could make it over, that would be excellent. I'll have a cold one ready, just in case :D

subcooler
03-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Paul,
Best of luck with the upcoming show!
I've been trying to convince the wife WE NEED TO CATCH A DISCUS SHOW!-I doubt she'll buy into a European vacation though-maybe Atlanta in July.
Rob

pcsb23
03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Ray, Bristol is an historic town with many great attractions, great place to visit.... oh and it will be holding the best discus show in the UK too! :D

hexed
03-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Paul,
Congrats on your first show! I hope it is very successful and you are able to make it an annual event. A toast to success!!
Frank :angel:

pcsb23
03-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Paul,
Congrats on your first show! I hope it is very successful and you are able to make it an annual event. A toast to success!!
Frank :angel:Thanks Frank, I know I do need a drink just about now!!:D

pcsb23
03-19-2008, 06:07 AM
I have some great news. Andrew Soh has agreed to be our guest speaker and judge. He will also be our guest of honour at the show dinner.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am! :D Thanks Andrew, you are a star!:D

Kindredspirit
03-19-2008, 08:42 AM
That is wonderful, Paul! He is a lot of fun;) You must be on cloud nine with all of this! I just knew you would be climbing that ladder of success in the discus world ~

How could you not?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_8_14.gif

GulfCoastDiscus
03-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Congrats Pauly. No doubt it will be a great success. I'd love to attend.:)

pcsb23
03-20-2008, 07:27 AM
That is wonderful, Paul! He is a lot of fun;) You must be on cloud nine with all of this! I just knew you would be climbing that ladder of success in the discus world ~

How could you not?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_8_14.gif
Thanks Marie, just at the minute I'm so busy that the enjoyment part will have to wait :)

Congrats Pauly. No doubt it will be a great success. I'd love to attend.:)

Thanks Dan, it won't be for the lack of trying my friend. Bristol is a lovely old city, but has very good transport links.....

GrillMaster
03-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Paul...My wife and I have discussed this the last couple of weeks. She was going to go over to Scotland and England (she has family in both) in May with my son an daughter.(I cant go ...Just to busy) but has told me that we could go over in November since her birthday is in November. She would want to stay in Greenock Sco. for a few days then go down to Corby to visit the rest of the family.

I could free myself from the in-law festivities for the show. The draw back is we are moving to a new house in Sept. It would all depend on how fast we got settled in. My wife is up nor down when she goes but November might just work depending on how things work out with the move.

tc
Mark

pcsb23
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Mark, it would be brilliant if you can make the show :)

Hope the house move goes well. :D

alxjss
04-07-2008, 12:34 AM
WOW PAUL!!! This is exciting news. I am sooo happy for ya. Hope things work out. I wish i could be there but that is a "NO" Maybe next one huh?:)

Kenny's Discus
04-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Paul, that's some wonderful and exciting news!:) Wishing you a very successful show and remember to take lots of pics...I mean LOTS.:)

All the best Paul,

Kenny

pcsb23
04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
WOW PAUL!!! This is exciting news. I am sooo happy for ya. Hope things work out. I wish i could be there but that is a "NO" Maybe next one huh?:)
Hi Eileen,

Yep exciting is one word to use:bandana: I can think of others!! lol. I like your confidence in me too so I WILL see you at the next one eh? :D

Paul, that's some wonderful and exciting news!:) Wishing you a very successful show and remember to take lots of pics...I mean LOTS.:)

All the best Paul,

KennyKenny thank you my friend if success comes from hard work then the efforts of the team won't go unrewarded. I'll do what I can for the pics too, though I may be a little busy!! :bandana:

alxjss
04-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Well Paul, i better start saving huh???;)

pcsb23
04-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Well Paul, i better start saving huh???;)oh yes:D

ShinShin
06-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Paul,

Congratulations on accomplishing what I consider quite a task. I am hoping the best for its success, and then maybe you can teach us over here how to produce a stand alone discus show with all the support that you managed to get in a relatively short period of time. I only wish I could be there.

Good luck,
Mat

pcsb23
06-06-2008, 03:54 AM
Thanks Mat,

Not sure I can teach anyone about putting on a show - yet! :D There is still alot of hard work to do just now but we are getting there!

I would have loved to have seen you at the show, maybe the next one?

pcsb23
08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
The classes for this years show are as follows:
Class 1 - Solid Colour - e.g. Blue Diamond, Marlboro, Cobalt
Class 2 - Striped/Striated - e.g. Turquoise, Snakeskin, Brilliant Turquoise
Class 3 - Patterned - e.g. - Checkerboard, Pigeon Blood, Ring Leopard
Class 4 - Spotted - e.g. Leopard, Leopard Snakeskin, Penang Eruption
Class 5 - Open - e.g. Albinos, Red Whites
Class 6 - Wild Caught - e.g. Heckel, Blue, Brown, Green

GrillMaster
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Paul, I can imagine you are in full swing now gettin ready for the Discus show!! Wish I could be there! I am afraid the funds wont be available for me this year after the move.

I would have loved to have been at the inaugural show!! I know it will be a huge sucess! :thumbsup:

tc

pcsb23
11-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Well we have just had our show. I think it was quite successful, everyone enjoyed themselves and the stallholders were kept very busy for the two days. We ended up with 48 fish in five classes as there were no wild caught entries this yeqr. I have been promised some for next year though!

There are a whole heap of photos available to view here, no need to join or anything, just click the link and enjoy :)
http://show.bidka.org/index.shtml

The winning fish was excellent and I really, really liked the fish in tank 1 too!

Dan S
11-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Paul, you and your team did a sterling job!!!! It was a fantastic event!!!

Sadly I could only make the Saturday but I saw some beautiful fish, met some very interesting people and listened to a brilliant talk/lecture by Andrew Soh.

A great success Paul and I for certain will be attending next year!!!!!

Brilliant job!!!!

Dan

Slackey
11-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Paul, you and your team did a sterling job!!!! It was a fantastic event!!!

Sadly I could only make the Saturday but I saw some beautiful fish, met some very interesting people and listened to a brilliant talk/lecture by Andrew Soh.

A great success Paul and I for certain will be attending next year!!!!!

Brilliant job!!!!

Dan

Best you do come next year Dan! I thought I had convinced you to show your wilds!

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you, you are a top guy, next time I am in Norwich I will give you a shout!

Dan S
11-18-2008, 06:41 PM
:)
Best you do come next year Dan! I thought I had convinced you to show your wilds!

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you, you are a top guy, next time I am in Norwich I will give you a shout!

Hello Slackey,

It was great meeting you aswell, cant say it enough, a great job you guys did.

Showing Wilds, yes you did have me convinced AT THE SHOW and I noticed Paul B say somewhere else he had a promise of someone showing wilds next year, im wondering if he was referring to me??? I often get carried away at these things and get signed up without realising it!!! :smiley:

The kettle is on ready for you, not sure why you would want to come to Norwich for though, well apart from Alan Partridge that is?:smiley:

Once again, great work!!!

Dan

John_Nicholson
11-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Paul I have only looked at a few pics so far but it looks like a great show! I have one suggestion for an improvement though.....Maybe a couple of American Judges....Like maybe me and Mat....I am sure we would work cheap....LOL.

-john

pcsb23
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I have one suggestion for an improvement though.....Maybe a couple of American Judges....Like maybe me and Mat....you guys had better keep a slot open for next November then :D

John_Nicholson
11-21-2008, 02:24 PM
No problems doing that...LOL.

-john

ShinShin
03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh man, I wish I had seen this before I scheduled my 2009 vacation in January.
2010? ;)

Mat

mmorris
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
It will be held over the Thanksgiving holidays this year, if I remember correctly. ;)

traversediscus
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
You guys couldnt go to Bristol anyways. You would not have a clue what they are talking about. They say Brizzzolllll as Bristol :D