PDA

View Full Version : Do stunted Discus recover?

dave Cox
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I've read a few threads about stunted discus. I guess one way to tell is if the eyes have seemed to outgrow the head. Of all the juvenile Discus that I've seen in lfs's, I doubt that the owners were following any "grow on" techniques that most of you mention here. I have five 2" discus that I am sure are at least 5 months old. They spent at least 3 months in a 20 gallon tank being fed once a day with at best, weekly water changes at the lfs. I don't know how old they were before the store received them. The eat and act fine. They are not timid and seem to take turns bullying each other. I have read that a discus can grow to 5" in ten months. These are a long way from that. If it takes two years to grow to 5 inches that would be ok with me as long as they grow. If they are stunted, is this permanent?

Thanks,

Tropical Haven
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
With good water changes and good food you can get them to their best potential after starting out stunted but they will never get to their full grown size.

ShinShin
03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
2" @ 5 months! Only an emergency phone call to Barry Bonds can save these discus. Rumor has it that he has some good stuff to put on muscle size and growth. They will never reach their potential, otherwise.

Mat

Green Country Discus
03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Spot on Shin !!!

Don Trinko
03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I have one that is 3.5" after 6 months. It has grown very little since it's purchase. It is a picky eater. It eats only FBW and very little else. Don T.