PDA

View Full Version : Apistos in a discus tank?

Jstuver
03-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I am wondering if anyone has ever kept apistos in a discus tank? I have a small pair that aren't full grown yet that I was thinking about throwing in my planted 150G discus tank.

Jstuver
03-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Nevermind I read and found people have been successful with them, so I will try it.

Apistomaster
03-16-2008, 04:27 PM
There are dozen of Apistogramma species and other SA dwarf Cichlids that do well with discus.
Most are not happy campers in bare style discus set ups but if their needs for cover are met then they will be fine. Choose one species rather than a collection of them. More than one species can be kept but I would recommend getting more experienced with them first.
A short list of my favorites that do well with Discus are:
Apistogramma agassizi
A. nissenji
Dicrossus filamentosus.

vera
03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Larry
have u kept hongsloi apisto with yr discus
i ordered a pair..

Apistomaster
03-17-2008, 02:10 AM
I haven't kept A. hongsloi yet but it is a good choice as a discus tank mate.
I have a few Apistogramma iniridae in with my Heckel's. Not the most colorful species but everyone has it's charm.
Even four decades is not enough time to keep and breed every fish.

fuzz16
03-21-2008, 02:46 PM
the only problem with a pair is when they breed or if they ever do...they could become aggressive to the discus and stress them out.

DirtyBlackSocks
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the more mild mannered apisto's harassing a full grown discus - if it were njisseni or panduro, somthing along those lines, then you might have cause to worry. Borelli, agasizzi, cacatuoides (spelling?) ect. are all pretty mild mannered and stick to a small 6 inch area when they're breeding. The others that I listed can go as far as to take up a 30 gallon tank footprint for a single pair.

Apistomaster
03-26-2008, 01:07 AM
I haven't met any Apistogramma able to intimidate a discus yet but I haven't had them all. Just over a few dozen species.

DirtyBlackSocks
03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I haven't met any Apistogramma able to intimidate a discus yet but I haven't had them all. Just over a few dozen species.

My Panduro males were fairly vicious during breeding, though I never kept them with discus, they did bravely harass a 9" raphael catfish for days before I decided it best to move it to another tank.

digthemlows
03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
They had a pair of Apistogramma panduro at my LFS, would those do well?

vera
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I have 55 gal heavily planted 2 pairs of discus some other small fish and..apisto agassizii male who thinks that he is THE BOSS,no 5 inch discus stand a chance to fight back:fish:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/discusapisto003.jpg

ewok
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
would cacatuoides do ok as far as temperatures are concerned?

Apistomaster
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
would cacatuoides do ok as far as temperatures are concerned?
Apistogramma cacatuoides do alright at 84*F. That may shave a few months off their life span but if it is a planted discus tank, they will have a happy life. I prefer to keep them at about 80 for breeding. Long exposures to Discus temperatures may make them difficult to breed. There are many other Apistogramma spp better suited for keeping and breeding in warmer water.

Most Apistogramma become quite fearless when they are guarding a spawn but they don't have much in the way of weaponry so they have to make up for it in bluster. Their territory is very important to them but not to a Discus. A discus allows an Apisto to drive it off because it just doesn't care. There are always other places it can be that don't have some peckerheaded Dwarf Cichlid that thinks its a Green Terror.

Apistogramma panduro is among the most assertive species but still no match for a discus. They are merely an ankle biting nuisance to Discus at most. Pretty nuisances well worth including in a planted Discus community tank.