PDA

View Full Version : 03-16-08 Help!! Issues

phidelt85
03-16-2008, 07:22 AM
OK, I've had a bit of trouble brewing in the Challenge tank for a couple of days maybe a bit longer. I'm gonna keep it short for now; I've got 4 of these guys for sure and one on the fence that are really dark colored. Staying hidden, and one is headstanding and listing pretty badly. There for a bit their slime coat looked a bit splotchy like grayish spots, now they're just super dark. I'm considering giving these guys a treatment of PP @ 2ppm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

phidelt85
03-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Well, I don't know what to make of it, but I've dosed the tank with Quick Cure.

jeep
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Have you checked for ammonia?

KJoFan
03-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Jose, I wish had some advice to offer, but I'm sure the more experienced will have some suggestions for you. I hope they pull through! Mine were off their feed a little last night and this morning and that always worries me, I can imagine that you're quite worried about yours!

phidelt85
03-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Yea, I didn't see any however, I don't know how much I trust it since the kit is over a year old. I did a 90%WC and hit em with QC. On the water note, my nitrates were over 20 and I showed a touch of nitrites which I totally don't understand how my biofilter could hve taken a hit. This is why I'm buying a new test kit, as I don't totally trust it, but it could be right since I tested after the WC and saw a decrease in both.

Karen, thanks for the kind words; I know what you mean about concern. Mine haven't been as energetic throughout the feeding. They don't finish off the FBW like they used to, they've been apathetic towards the BH altogether. I've slowly seen some improvement with the BH as I've left it in a bit longer for them to finish off. It almost as they are now wired more for the autofeeder than me again (I thought I had broken them of that) Just this morning I tried to give the FBW on the left side of the tank after the WC; they ran to it and kinda pecked at it and then bolted the top right of the tank looking up. They were waiting for the pellets to fall in as it was time for the feeder to drop the food; however, I had taken it off 'cause I didn't want there food dropping in while I was working on the tank. They did this continuously; swim to the left and check out the FBW and then dart to the right to make sure they didn't miss their pelllets.

I just went out there a bit ago after waking up (as I'm workin' nights this weekend) and none were listing or headstanding but they were still black.

two utes
03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Jose, l am really sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Trust me when l say that l know how you feel. Hopefully you can overcome the problem....unlike myself.

Good luck my friend.:)

phidelt85
03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Joe, I hope they do pull out of it. I'm treating with QC now, and have upped the WC to two per day. I've got some pics, I'll post in a bit.

phidelt85
03-16-2008, 07:40 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/cuervogold85/Discus%20Hobbyist%20Challenge%20Pics/3-16-08/DSC04489Medium.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/cuervogold85/Discus%20Hobbyist%20Challenge%20Pics/3-16-08/DSC04478Medium.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/cuervogold85/Discus%20Hobbyist%20Challenge%20Pics/3-16-08/DSC04476Medium.jpg

GrillMaster
03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey Jose...Sorry to hear these guys are feeling a little under the weather! Just a thought, Have you cleaned out your filter lately? There might be some waste that slipped thru the prefilter sponges.

tc
Mark

phidelt85
03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey, Mark, thanks for the heads up; I only run sponge filters and rinse them out once a week. I had actually just rinsed these two two days ago when I moved these guys up on the rack.

alxjss
03-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Hi Jose. Sorry to hear about ur problems. Maybe they r withdrawing from the autofeedr. I don't no if fish go thru withdrawls, but u never no..... Be careful w/the meds. Have u tried salt? I can't give u advice , just some thing that i would try. Good luck bud!!!! I am real conservative when it comes to meds. I don't treat unless i no for sure something is wrong. Thats when i come here and start asking for advice.

brewmaster15
03-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Jose,

If the fish have been off on their appetite and theres food sitting there...it may have rotted enough to cause a bacterial infection.. The 3 dark ones... Do they have any bloated stomachs or off colored feces.

What pellets are in the auto feeder?

I would discontinue the auto feeder for a few days... They should tear into food you feed them by hand, imo

-al

phidelt85
03-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Al, I have discontinued the autofeeder for right now and didn't feed them much of anything yesterday. I came home this morning and gave them some BH and they hit it pretty good. I have the Omega marine pellets in the autofeeder.

In regards to the infection. I do have some kanamyacin laying around; would you recommend I try that or should I use a different antibiotic?

brewmaster15
03-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I would use the kanamycin....Its good for an internal bacterial infection..

especially if they have been like this a few days.

-al

GrillMaster
03-19-2008, 01:34 AM
How are they doin for ya Jose? I hope things are looking up! :)

tc
Mark

phidelt85
03-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks, Mark, they are doing a bit better. A little off color but not as dark. I started the kanamycin I guess (looking at the clock) yesterday morning. Hell, one of the dark one is actually back to being a bully. Won't let anyone near the center of the tank. I'll continue this treatment for the next six days and see how it goes.

I've started feeding them lightly for now; gave them some red wrigglers before leaving to visit my parents and they tore into them. Although I did notice one of the sick guys throw em back up, don't know what to make of it. Maybe he ate too many too fast?

Kindredspirit
03-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I'll continue this treatment for the next six days and see how it goes.

Jose, you might want to reconsider and continue for 12 days...I could be wrong with this med, see what others think ~

MostlyDiscus
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Jose, Kindered is correct. Antibiotics should be put in for the duration otherwise you may build a resistance. Didnt see ph or hardness for you tank(tanks). Are you central system?
Have you tried using salt? Discus can take quite a bit, I have wigglers on the pot atm and the micros were over 2k plus prozi pro, ms were high due to a large salt treatment. Thx for the pics btw. Your fish look nice.. Ed.

P.S. I thought you had mentioned sponge filters only, You may want to rinse your sponges after your treatment(if you leave your sponges in) so you dont get leaching.

phidelt85
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks you two. I said 6 days because it says to do a treatment every two days upto 3 treatments. Although I am redosing after every water change any way. I haven't tested my GH in a while as it ranges depending where my water softener is in its cycle. My pH is in the mid 7s. I'm not on a central filtration system; just using sponges which get rinsed regularly. I will give the sponges a good rinse after the treatment.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Andrew Soh, told me to always use antibiotics for a minimum of 12 days...;)

MostlyDiscus
03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
:(Yep,,, Andrews book is a winner. Back in the 90s (cant remember the year) Dr. Clifford Chan had a good book too. Sinapore Discus. Oh well... back to my something bactieral plauge Im battling. Amazing how the fry just dont seem to care what I throw at the parents. I get the feeling the fry are going to have issues.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Why are you sad? :confused:

MostlyDiscus
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
LOL dont get me wrong, the books are awesome. Its battling some kind of plauge that erks me. Just did a 50 percent wc and have charcoal taking the Proz pro out. Seems when I bring new fish in either they infect or get infected. I think there are diff strains of the Bact/virus. The new fish kind of say "opps, did I do that?" Good thing is the 3 week babies are doing good, The fry on the back seem to be haning in there and Little Guy and Big Momma still have wigglers to tend. Just wish she would move them from the fungused eggs. ;) Thx for asking though..

Kindredspirit
03-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Seems when I bring new fish in either they infect or get infected...

That is not uncommon, trust me ~ do you QT?

I am glad you are not sad over Andrew's book!:) He is much more fun in person:D

MostlyDiscus
03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
QT? Sorry lost me there. I bought Andrews book recently. I used to breed in the early 90s and reread all my books from that era. I really liked the details for picking out a champion. Does anyone do disucs shows anymore? I did DSG sym 4 in Baltimore and 5 im Tampa years ago.. So much has changed. Thx K.S. errr nm and yes I did, but not long enough Im sure.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
QT? Sorry lost me there.

Quarantine any new arrivals in a separate tank...and room:)
At least 6 weeks ~

phidelt85
03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, I go out to the room to find the tank at 77*, my heater decided it was tired of working. I did a partial water change on the tank to bring the temp back up into the 80s and replaced the heater. Looks like the insulation did it's job as the room is at 67*

brewmaster15
03-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Jose,
How are they?

-al

phidelt85
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Al, they are doing great. Back on top of the world with these guys anyway. :D Back to normal coloration and eating better. I've got some more kanamycin coming in as I'm running low, but I'll continue this treatment through its course. I've got pics and a video from last night that I'll update when I get home tonight.

brewmaster15
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Good to hear Jose... :)

-al