PDA

View Full Version : Filter to fatten discus?

riu
03-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello, I want to know that filter used to fatten discus.

It's best foam filter or biological filter like this.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/raul2299/circulacindelagua.jpg

Greetings

Tropical Haven
03-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I am a little confused here, how can a certain filter fatten up discus?

RockHound
03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I am a little confused here, how can a certain filter fatten up discus?

I think he means, to grow out discus.:confused:

I don't care for submerged filters, as he shows.
There is not enough open air/water interface.

I prefer wet/dry type trickle filters.
Because they have a LARGE air/water interface.
Not to mention, are easy to clean & maintain.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/placer_mines/wetdrytricklefilterbasic.jpg
EXAMPLE

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/placer_mines/drumcannisterfilter.jpg
Plus, are EASY & inexpensie to build yourself.

riu
03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
True, but in Spain use filters like this to fatten discus. To say these filters?

vera
03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
hi Riu
do you mean to make your discus bigger?
fresh air alone will not make you big or fat ,only food will do the trick,same for discus

salth20
03-18-2008, 11:17 AM
The filter shown, IMO isn't anything special. As I see it, you have prefiltering on the white material at the top left where the water is coming in. Then the blue material appears to have form, so I'm going to guess sponges, although, years ago, there was a product called bio-blocks, 2x2" square blocks with rods that plugged together end to end. Lots of surface area, but not great at de-gassing in trickle towers. The pic isn't detailed enough for me to tell. The water flows under the dam into a bio area with ceramic or sintered glass and gravel. The submerged bio media is OK, but it certainly doesn't appear to be enough (again hard to tell) and how much water flows around the bags instead of through the media? Then over the top of the dam, into another floss and what appears to be spiral wound bonded pad.area, and on to pumping. What I don't see is any major air exchange going on, short of the trip over the one dam to the right of the bio area, and presumably, at the surface of the tank water through skimming. If the bacteria aren't being fed oxygen, they are consuming it from the tank water itself... that's one distinct advantage of trickle systems.. excellent oxygen saturation, and gas exchange. I'm with rockhound on this, not enough gas exchange, and possibly very low O2/high CO2 content depending on fish load, and whats in the tank above. I don't see any advantage to fattening up fish with this set up.
I could see where this could work, but I would modify it into more of a refugium set up like in marine keeping. Fine fliter bags at the inlet, over a dam, down through bio media with air injection, under a dam into a fully planted area with CO2, cable heat, fertilizers, and bright lights directly over the plants, and over a final dam to pumping. But, I live in my world, and they know me here, so I could be way off. But, I think the idea has as much merit in fresh water as it does in marines for keeping water quality high.

riu
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Salth20 :thumbsup:

But you believe that it's the best aquarium filter for growth?

Better that filter, or better filter sponge?

kaceyo
03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I have read that trickle filters are the best for growouts tho I've never tried it. They have a number of advantages but cirtainly aren't nescessary for good growth. I use a combination of air driven sponge filters and HOB (Aqua Clear 110/500) filters along with lots and lots of fresh clean water.
I think the filter shown by riu would work fine for growouts if kept well maintained and would be much better than a refugium, which would be similar to growing juvies in a planted tank, which, as we know, doesn't work very well.

Kacey