PDA

View Full Version : help with new fish

rc157
03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
was able to purchase some larger discus and all they do is stare at the sponge filter don't go after food yet what should i do should i stop feeding keep the light off any suggestions

happygirl65
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
So far from my experience it is pretty normal for them to be a little stressed after you get them. Don't try to feed too much the first day, but after that you should keep trying.

Just remember to remove any uneaten food after 30 min if they didn't eat it. Eventually they will get the idea and start eating. Keeping the lights off for the first day is helpful as well.

Are you new to discus? Has the tank cycled etc? More info will aid in tracking down any other problems that might be occuring. :)

RyanH
03-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Give them some time and be patient. Discus are like cats in that they hate change; especially adults.

Some people will dump a bunch of food in the tank while trying to get their fish to eat. This is a mistake. It spoils the water and stresses the fish even more.

I'd maybe add a little salt and keep the light off; but only for the first day or so. You can also temporarily raise the temperature of the tank to 88 degrees. Try getting them eating with small amounts of their favorite food. If you're unsure of what they were eating before, ask the seller.

Discus are competitive eaters and will follow the lead of the more outgoing fish in the tank. You can take advantage of their competitive nature by adding small amounts of food at first so they have to work a little bit to get to it before the others eat it all.

It sounds crazy and may take a few feedings or even a few days but it works.