PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Media

Solo707
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
My first post so dont flame me if this has already been discussed :). I recently purchased a Fluval 205 and was wondering about the media baskets. I know Hagen sells various media and wanted to get your inputs on the best combination of media for a planted discus tank. Thanx in advance for the input guys!

digthemlows
03-25-2008, 08:33 PM
My 405 has 4 baskets.........all 4 have the bio noodles in them! Works great!

Apistomaster
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I use the biomedia and floss to polish the water. I rarely use carbon but never on a planted tank. Purigen seems to have some benefits. I have used it with my Heckels for years.

edmoran77
03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I use both 204 and 304's in my tanks. Mine are packed with the following:

204: community tank

Water polishing pads when doing maintenance in top basket
BioMaxx (top)
Black Diamond/chemipure (depends) (middle)
Prefilter Fluval (middle)
Prefilter Fluval (bottom)

304: Discus tank

Biomax (top)
Biomax (middle)
Fluval Prefilter (bottom)

I also have a prefilter sponge over the intake to gaurd agianst too much uneaten food or waste getting sucked into the filter

Solo707
03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanx for the info guys...one more thing though, edmoran77 what prefilter sponge do you use or if just a generic sponge what do you attatch it with. Also I use a worm cone to feed FBWs, wouldnt the little bit sucked up just be neutralized by the bacteria in the filter? Been looking for Purigen but cant seem to locate any in my LFSs nearby, any suggestions?

Graham
03-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Put a sponge on the intake and keep it cleaned as often as possible...no since letting worms rot in the filter producing NH3/NO2/N03

The fewer organics in the system the better

G

edmoran77
03-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanx for the info guys...one more thing though, edmoran77 what prefilter sponge do you use or if just a generic sponge what do you attatch it with. Also I use a worm cone to feed FBWs, wouldnt the little bit sucked up just be neutralized by the bacteria in the filter? Been looking for Purigen but cant seem to locate any in my LFSs nearby, any suggestions?

I use a prefilter for a maxi-jet powerhead, pack of two fits perfect over strainer end of the uptake. At dr. forster and smith it's item number CD-517670 Pre-filter Sponge (2 pk)

here's the url!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4609

It just helps keep uneaten food from entering the canister, acutally my fish are getting pretty smart and just clean the food of the prefilter between feedings. It gets really gross however and has to be cleaned daily. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the prefilter, looks pretty sharp and blends well with the rest of the fluval setup. :)

edmoran77
03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Here's a pic of the prefilter I've been using. Fish are actually eating brine shrimp off the filter that would have otherwise been pulled into the filter system never to be seen again in the pic.

Solo707
03-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanx for the tip Edmoran77, ive sent out an order for the prefilter, now its the waiting game....btw your fish look good, any pairs?

Apistomaster
03-30-2008, 06:39 PM
A good pre-filter works wonders when it comes to extending any filters efficacy.
It is so easy to have a few so when one begins to clog a fresh one can be exchanged for the old one. Most pre-filters may be returned to like-new condition by squeezing most of the crud out, soak in a bleach water solution and rinsed well and dried before reusing.

Some handy preformed sponge pre-filters are sold under accessories at aquabid.com that work well with HOB power filters.