PDA

View Full Version : discus in planted tanks

HiImSean
03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
i've been reading up on discus and im thinking of doing a planted discus tank this summer. most sources say keep young discus in a BB tank to keep water in the best possible condition then move them to a planed tank when they grow up. at what size should you move them? i was thinking about 8 or 9 in a 135g with some rams and cories.

digthemlows
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
I'd wait until they are at least 4". Closer to 5" and you should have some good fun! I've been doing 10 discus of various sizes in a 125 gallon. Because of some of them being juvies and me needing to feed 5 times a day it can become more of a pain. I'd grab 8-12 2.5" to 3" fish, raise them in a 55 for 4-6 months and drop them in your planted tank!

dandestroy
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Mine loved the planted tank... but make sure your good with plants first since its hard to learn and it takes some time.

They love having hiding spots, and their color become very vibrant alongside the green of the plants. They seems to pick on some plants and alga to feed themself sometime which is a good thing for them...

I will also agree that moving the fish in the planted tank form 4'' or more is probably the way to go.