PDA

View Full Version : quick question about fish being too big..

mikel
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone: i have seven discus...five are blue and red turquise, and two are pigeon bloods from Al. I have hd them since they were 2 inches, and now they are approaching 5 inches each since the 6 months that I have had them. They are in a 40 breeder tank, with an emperor bio-wheel filter. The temp is 83.5 F and I change 40% water each morning. The water readings are all good, and stable. They get Blood worm, Omega One color and vehhie flakes, and Sera discus pellets. I feed about 5 times a day, sometimes more, but only enough that they finish within 0ne/two minute.

My question is...will they reach a size when the small space of the tank begin to stop their growth? Can that be prevented with more intense water changes? Or should I begin to look for a bigger tank? I dont want to have to give them away. I dont think I can get another tank...ala the significant other, given the huge water bill incurred with only one tank. Your opinion and suggestion? Thank you in advance. mike

judy
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
What you may be able to do, as they grow, is determine if any are pairing off. Then you put the pair into a 20 gallon breeding tank and have the joy of watching that process... and maybe even raising babies to sell (you won't make but very little money, but it will be fun...) Then you'd have five in a 40, which would be just fine for adults. You can also back off on feeding to twice daily with adults, and make fewer water changes as a result. Less waste in the tank all round.
The tank size won't limit their growth, BTW. I kinda think that's a myth...

Don Trinko
03-31-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree with Judy; Tank size does not limit growth. Clean water and good food and good genetics are necisary for growth. It is easier to keep water clean in a bigger tank because the polution caused by the fish is a smaller percentage of total capacity in a big tank than it is in a small tank. If you had 2 large discus in a 5g tank the water quality would go down as soon as the fish peed in the tank! In a big tank they can pee several times before the quality goes down.
I have 1 fish that did not grow much since it's purchase. It is a very picky eater and only eats bloodworms. The other fish in the tank are now 5 to 6". The picky eater is only 3" Don T.

judy
03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Do fish pee? I though they only pooped.

Don Trinko
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
I can't prove it but thats my story and I'm sticken to it. Don T.

mikel
04-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys for your replies. I'll keep changing the water and wait for a pairing. I am hoping that the two pigeons wll get together, instead of mixing a pigeon with a blue or red turquoise. mike