PDA

View Full Version : Well I am re-starting my setup today....

wilddiscuss
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I had an issue with a supplier of discus....as for you that have been following my threads I have been posting here on simply you already know. But as for you that don't I had a lot of disease problems with my discus and I am going to start over...in prevention of the new discus I would get...would not become diseased from the tank itself. The left over 2 discus that survived I had to cull.

Well moving on from that bad experience...I am cleaning the tank today. I am going to use bleach at 1 cup per 55 gallons of water. I am throwing out all pre-filters and sponge filters and replacing them with new. I am going to soak the bioballs in bleach in a bucket over night and rinse them out and put them back the next day. As for the parts of the sponge filters and lids to the tank and trickle filter I am going to just drop them in the tank and add bleach and run the tank over night. Then scrub out the trickle filter and parts heater ect. and lids the next day. Along with the sides of the inside of the tank.

Does this sound like a good idea in cleaning well enough for the set up? How many times after I run it with bleach do you think I should drain and refill the tank? Should I double up on the chlorine remover with each draining and cleaning?

Thanks for your time :)

Todd

pcsb23
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
hey Todd, tough call on culling the two remaining ones but i firmly believe you did the righ thing.

When I bleach tanks I empty them rinse and leave them to dry and that is it. Your plan sounds ok to me. Good luck.

Tropical Haven
04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Your process should work just fine.

wilddiscuss
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Well 2 days of work and I'm all done. I have decided to get some new discus from Mike at Central Ohio Discus :) I like his stock and he is giving me sponges for my tank so I don't have to worry about cycling...YAY! I will keep you all posted as I get my new group in. I know it'll be a better experience than my last. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Todd

Elite Aquaria
04-05-2008, 07:25 AM
You made a good decision to bleach the system and start over again...Best of luck with your new fish...

Tropical Haven
04-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Good luck with everything, keep us posted on how everything goes.

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Todd

Its a great way to start again.

I generally just bleach my tanks once & then leave them to dry, although if I have purchased an old tank I would give it an extra bleach.

You have made the right decisions, and hope everything works out for you in the future.

Regards Armandi ;)