PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with PH TDS Meter

wilddiscuss
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone I had bought this meter.... But I need help.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9848

I have the Black Meter the PH/EC/TDS one.

I bought some packs of the fluid for Calibration. But I don't see directions on what to do. I have never owned one and I have had it for a few months. I picked up a few packs of pH 7.01 Calibration Packets. I also Picked up some 1382 PPM Solution.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4512&rel=1

So I have all this stuff.....now what do I do??? Thanks for helping the newbie.

Todd

dishpanhands
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
here is the manual...I think this is the one you have..

http://www.hannainst.co.uk/acatalog/HI98129Manual.pdf

HTH

wilddiscuss
04-04-2008, 10:54 PM
here is the manual...I think this is the one you have..

http://www.hannainst.co.uk/acatalog/HI98129Manual.pdf

HTH

Do I just soak it in the stuff in the pouch? Or do I mix it with water???? I am not sure???

discussmith
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
This is the reference solution. Mixing it with anything will alter the reading you get and will thus make it useless as a set point for calibrating your meter. Put the probe in the solution and use the adjusting knob or screw to adjust the reading to match what the solution says the PH or TDS is. I'm not familiar with this particular unit so I can't tell you where to find the adjusting knob or screw. If it is not obvious I would look behind a removable cover??

dishpanhands
04-05-2008, 01:46 AM
use the stuff without adding anything to it..there is nothing to turn. this meter will auto adjust itself and will know what solution you are using..It is best to use two different solutions to calabrate with, but you can do it with just one..

discussmith
04-07-2008, 12:38 AM
I guess I'm confused. If it auto adjusts why calibrate it. How does it know you are testing or calibrating? How does it know what Ph solution you are using if it has a calibrate mode button or whatever if it's out of calibration?

dishpanhands
04-07-2008, 04:56 AM
If it auto adjusts why calibrate it.

To make it more accurate..

How does it know you are testing or calibrating?

It has a calibration mode and a test mode.

How does it know what Ph solution you are using if it has a calibrate mode button or whatever if it's out of calibration?

The solutions PH are so far apart it can tell the differents..one is ph4.1 and one is PH7.1 and one is PH10.1 . If its that far out of calibration that it can't tell that big of a differents. you will need to replace parts..

The link in the earlier post takes you to the manual check it out..

HTH

Apistomaster
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Once you are familiar with the electronic meter you will never regret buying it or miss the largely crude measurement that chemical tests render. Chemical tests are subject to many factors that contribute to spurious test results. Still, chemical tests are much better than no tests. Electronic tests are so easy to run that you will do them more frequently than you might if you had to run them by hand. It is a little like writing long hand or using Word or Word Perfect on a computer.

discussmith
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I guess my point was if you set it to calibrate and you put it in your ph 7 solution and it reads 7.2 or 6.8 is the meter bad or is the solution bad.
I'll stick with my pin point.

dishpanhands
04-09-2008, 04:53 AM
If you have it in calibration it know that you are going to put it in one of only three different solutions. if its acid then it has to be ph 4.01 and if its netrual then its in 7.01 and if its in base then it has to be in 10.01..it can't be put in 7.01 and it calibrate itself to 7.2..it knows better...now you can confuss it just like any meter..If you make your own solutions and make one that is different then any of the three pre set solutions then you can confuss it..lets say you use a solution that is ph 4.9 then it will think that its in 4.01 and set itself wrong..you only have three different ph to calibrate with, and thats how it knows. thats what makes it easy and correct.

dishpanhands
04-09-2008, 05:09 AM
how do you know with your pin point. If you put it in solution ph 7.01 and it sayes 6.8. How do you know if the solution is off or the meter is off? same thing with the hanna meter...when you put it in 7.01 you turn the knob till it sayes 7.01..Hanna does the same thing without a knob by putting it in calibration mode and letting its computerized system do it for you..when hanna meter is in calibrate mode you can't read ph only thing you read is what solution you are useing and what solution it wants next..