PDA

View Full Version : My Simply Discus..Totally Al "The Master" Sabetta

ashaysathe
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Hello

After a month of research and education, primarily from the guru - Al and the forum, my first Discus tank is up and running. I lucked out in more than one ways but the most important was living closer to Al - I could literally "be onsite" so to speak and get the "insider golden tips".. if I had recorded everything he said to me we could have published a book "Discus for Dummies".. Before I start writing and forget about pictures, here you go:

ashaysathe
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
.. Continuing the thread from above...
I got 12 Discus from Al... (it was hard to control myself.. but you know.. )
3 - 3R2
3 - Super Angel Diamonds
3 - Super Blue Diamonds
and
3 - Lepords ( my favs so far - Al Sabetta Series)
They were very skittish (as expected) and would hide under the big wood (as trucks parked in the dock yard) I took the wood out and the seem to be happy that its gone.. wow..
I feed them FBW and flake food. I tried feeding them FBS but they don't eat that. I made a food mixture myself yesterday as a trial w/ 1/2 lb Shrimp + 1/2 lb Cod fish + Garlic Powder + Peprika (more Indian spices to follow) + half cup of flake food.. and they liked that. So thats good.
Its been 4 days @ my home and been doing water changes everyday and feeding them about 4-6 times a day.
I didn't check water parameters after the first day but I will.

ashaysathe
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Now look at these..

These are what Al has in his house.. I have already put a claim on each and every breeding prospect and also asked for a spot ono one of the racks incase I get driven out of my house :D After seeing these, it is so hard not to want one.

Last but not the least.. a big "THANK YOU" to Al. I wouldn't want to get into phrases like customer service (I will leave that for WalMart) .. but I will say this its a bond that is established and will last for ever.

I will post more as the fish adjust more to my home - with 2 boys running around its like a Tsunami for them.. but I am hoping they will come along..
Somebody said in one of the threads .. Road to Discus heart goes thru their stomachs.. I plan to be a "food wagon" and convert them to my side.

ashaysathe
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Also Hats off to this forum and everyone involved in keeping this "For Hobbyist Service Only"

Organic Farmer
04-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Way to go,you cant go wrong with Al.

subcooler
04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Congratulations on the beautiful fish!
I only have good to say about Al here also. He's been very helpful with medicinal questions(I wasn't as smart-I got discus impulsively & lerned on the way):o
I should say was taught on forum as I went!
Your very lucky to live close to Al!
I also met a local (south Jersey) guy on here-who has been very helpful with my discus questions(I'm pretty lucky too!):D
There's been some talk of us northeast guys getting together this spring to talk fish-Hope to see you there!
Best on luck with your discus!
Rob

Darren's Discus
04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
All the best with them,thank's for sharing the pics. AL's "THE MAN"

cheers

Ardan
04-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Congratulations!! Wish I lived close:D
You got some real beauties there.:):):)
Yes, you can't go wrong with Al!

Ardan

tacks
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
You got your self some great looking fish from Al. I wish I didnt see that tank with all those Heckels in it. I am also a happy customer of Als. Good luck Ed

Tropical Haven
04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
By the smile on your face looks like there is another happy discus owner, congrats on your new fish they look great.

Carolina discus
04-08-2008, 11:52 PM
DAMN..AL is one HANDSOME MAN!!!

Al is one of the good guys....you can't go wrong with him.

Best of luck.

Eric

Condor
04-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Congrats on your new fish! You went to the right place!!:D
Adrian

AADiscus
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Congrats on your new fish. You defiantly can not go wrong with Al the master! ;)

brewmaster15
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Ah shucks!

Ashay, I'm honored that you chose me to work with.:)

I'd really like to take credit for the fish you got as I think they are great..., but really can't. You just had good timing.....I happened to be getting some future breeder stock from Kenny's last Wayne Ng shipment and just tacked on a few for you... and the leos were from one of Kenny's Forrest shipments ...I had gotten some for grow out... So if those little gems of yours turn out as nice as I think they will....The credit will be to Kenny,Wayne, and Forrest for the stock quality.... and you Ashay for the TLC.:) Alls I did was Qt, provide the bio filter and "some" advice.:)

I am very glad that you are happy...Thank you again for all the kind words.

and thank you everyone else for the kind words... looking at my mugshot in the pics...I think I should have shaved...but was having a real bad week ..completely forgot.:(

take care, and Ashay... enjoy the new fish..:)

-al

ashaysathe
04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
As we have heard "Its not for us to decide what comes to us, its what we do with it"
I spoke with Kenny when I found this forum. Kenney was extremely helpful with his advice and prudent in every aspect. I couldn't get any fish then as I wasn't ready with anything. But eventually, as it turns out, it was meant to happen that I be the owner of those fish that I saw month back and felt sorry that I cannot get them. But being holder of these I am totally happy..

Thanks Kenney for the advice then and also for the great great fish.. I hope I can grow them to their full potential.

Ps: I should stop reading JRR Tolkien !!!:p

brewmaster15
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Ashay,

Ps: I should stop reading JRR Tolkien !! LOl..Gandalf would think otherwise.. You've just begun your greatest adventure!;)

-al

AADiscus
04-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Its not for us to decide what comes to us, its what we do with it"

You are totally right on this comment.

GrillMaster
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
My precious!!! But the hobbitses they wants it...

:D :D :D

Glad ya made it down to Al's Ashay!! He is quite the humble host! I see ya have a few pics of his favorite pair on their fry for the 12th time!! ;) :)

You look like you definately did your homework and I bet those fish will make ya proud before to long. The good thing about livin close to Al is it makes it real easy to set up more tanks!!! :D And the best part of adding fish to new tanks is the pickin em up at Al's place! :)

tc
Mark

ashaysathe
04-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Attached is the update after 2 weeks(April 18th 2008).. been good so far, seems like growing. I am learning too as we go along. Take a look
Water Changes alomot 50% once a day. Feeding 4 times for sure. Sometimes 5. They still don't quite eat FBS and Shrimp+Cod mix made at home. I have to leave both these things in the tank for atlast an hr, eventhough I have reduced their servings. I give flakes which they eat and noticed eating pellets too lately.
Skittishness (if there is such a word) is reduced a lot, only at entry and exit in the room, otherwise they think "its one of them"

ashaysathe
04-25-2008, 09:55 AM
1. Today marks the 3rd week completion in my house. Skittishness is about 60% gone. Growth on fish is good. I am trying to worry less and enjoy the fish more.
2. After losing a blue angel, was able to pull out 3R2 in time.
3. Today is the 4th day of his Kenamycin in QT tank.
4. Main tank seems fine everybody eats well. I noticed doing 50% water change was not quite enough. I did 75 to 80 % 3 times and all these time I could see noticeable difference in the behavior
5. Feeding is still 4 times a day but trying to reach that fine line between right feeding and over feeding.
6. May be I need more filteration.. those sponge filters. Dunno.. will try something.

I will post the photos soon.

BobB
06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Al, How often do you have those beauties up for sales.

ashaysathe
07-03-2008, 05:47 PM
After 3 months of curiosity, anxiety, learning and many more things.. I posting a vew pictures of some fish that I am really proud of as a novice discus keeper.
I have called Al on enumerable occasions, needless to say his reply and help was always great. Also Mike Deegan - Black Water Aqauria (now a sponsor on forum) was ready with any and all kind of help I asked for.
There were many lessons learnt and I am sure this is not over yet. I made mistakes but I hope those are over by now.
I recently aquired 6 new fish from Kenny's recent shipment for which I will post photo's soon. Photos below are
1. Super Blue Angel (Wayne Ng was 2.5 inch when I got it)
2. 3R2 - again Wanye Ng was around 2 inch
3. Red Turq - Forrest was about 3 inch has shot up in growth all of a sudden.
There is one Super Angel that I would like to post but cannot get a clean snap but shall do soon.

subcooler
07-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Asahay,
Best of luck with your discus.
It's also a learning process here-but with all the help here,I'm sure we'll be fine!
Your very lucky to live close to Al & Mike-Got to meet both @ NE Discus Mtg.
Looking forward to next meeting already!
In the third pic- is that an Eruption Leopard behind the Red Turq.?
Have a great holiday weekend,
Rob

ashaysathe
07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Posting a few pictures. Its been almost 4 months. I learnt heck a lot in the past and made mistakes and learnt more.. Its like an engineering thing.. if everything works life is great; but if something fails your future is fantastic as you learn so much from it. But in this case the infirtunate part is it cost life of a fish.. and that hurts. There are a few fish I am really proud of and some I could have done better. I am currently working on a "mistake free" tank and will see how that goes - keeping fingures crossed so far
Thanks for a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum to help out. Its been a great thing so far.

brewmaster15
07-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Ashay,
They are looking fine!:)... This is your first venture in Discus keeping... You may have had a few bumps along the way but you are still doing very well and are raising a really nice group of discus....Keep the faith and enjoy the fruits of your labor.;)

-al

ps... I can tell you , you definetly are doing better than I did with my first discus..... and my second batch, and probably my 3rd and 4th batch:(:D

ashaysathe
07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks Al for the complements. Coming from you means a lot to me.. it really does and boosts my moral. There is no disagreement in thats its hard putting away a fish that is dead... but as you said.. if it worked 100% of the time then everybody would have Discus.
I am definitely enjoying the hobby more .. next goal is to qualify for your discus challenge....

SriAngel
02-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I see what you mean about the super blue angel, they are probably the hardiest of Waynes lines. I put these picture of my babies to honor your thread. I hope you dont mind me hijacking it. These three have been shivering and fighting over a corner of the tank since i put my new filtration system in.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/sriangel5/Discus/CIMG0220.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/sriangel5/Discus/CIMG0226.jpg

SriAngel
02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Ashay,

I want you to take note of something. Look at fist pic and the fish in the middle, he came from the same batch that you got from Al. The other two were from a shipment 8 months earlier. Those two were the only survivers of the original shipment of Wayne. You can tell from the eye size that the fish in the middle is younger by the eye size. He is the same size or a little bit bigger than the other guys. If i hadn't made all those mistakes when i started, i dont think i would be as good of a discus keeper as i am today.

Angel

ashaysathe
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Ashay,

I want you to take note of something. Look at fist pic and the fish in the middle, he came from the same batch that you got from Al. The other two were from a shipment 8 months earlier. Those two were the only survivers of the original shipment of Wayne. You can tell from the eye size that the fish in the middle is younger by the eye size. He is the same size or a little bit bigger than the other guys. If i hadn't made all those mistakes when i started, i dont think i would be as good of a discus keeper as i am today.

Angel

Hey Angel (Although if I had a choice would have liked to call you Sri)

Yes I do notice that the eye is the distinguishing characteristic. You are absolutely right mistakes have made me a better discus keeper without a doubt.
Also, I have grown into liking blue fish more and blue with striations. Altum Flora or the reflections you have are not one of my - but the favorite fish line. I would love to see your Reflections with straitions on them. The other strains I love is snakeskins and especially blue snakeskins. I have PEs and Albino LSS. One my of my goal is to able to breed my PE with my Albino LSS both coming from Kenny and the other goal is - I got some excellent excellent Cobalts from Al. I would love to have these cobalts pair up with my exceptional Altum Flora from Kenny/Forrest.
The forehead and the bar over the eye are so pronounced that added that to the Altum would make it excellent. I personally feel Altum Flora I have and have a great tall body fish and this Cobalts from Al are exceptional round fish - together they will make a gr8 pair. I know .. I know .. I need photos.. Will post photo's soon.
There is one more thing I need from Al.. soon.. :) :)

You are not too far, you can come down anytime you want -always fun to talk fish !!!!

CARY_GLdiscus
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Brew,

The Man Good job! I know how hard it is to help others,work,run a family and to keep doing it over over and over again is a hats off all in its own!

Best wishes!
Cary + Family

Eddie
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Ashay,

Any updates to your fish? How about some pictures. I think its a good time for some pictures!

Eddie

brewmaster15
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Brew,

The Man Good job! I know how hard it is to help others,work,run a family and to keep doing it over over and over again is a hats off all in its own!

Best wishes!
Cary + Family
Cary,
Yes you do know my friend...and thats a FACT!!:) You qualify for a Lifetime MVP award in My BOOK anyday Bro!:)

Talk soon!
al

ashaysathe
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Ashay,

Any updates to your fish? How about some pictures. I think its a good time for some pictures!

Eddie

Yes Eddie.. I have to take some pictures now. But currently I am facing challenges maintaining my bio load. Got to find a solution real quick.. weighing in options.. if u know what I mean.. but for discus keeper there is one way .. ADD MORE TANKS..;) ;)

Eddie
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes Eddie.. I have to take some pictures now. But currently I am facing challenges maintaining my bio load. Got to find a solution real quick.. weighing in options.. if u know what I mean.. but for discus keeper there is one way .. ADD MORE TANKS..;) ;)

Or do some heavy WCs! :D

Can't wait to see the fotos

Eddie