PDA

View Full Version : Question about water aging

Jerseyfish
04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to get started with my discus in the near future, and just stumbled upon this site while looking for breeders. Just wanted to say I love all the help that I see going on here, what an awesome place.

That said, I'm in some need of help myself. I see a lot of talk about using aged water for water changes. Currently for my community tank, I just add condition (NovAqua+ currently) to the new water, and pour the water in a few minutes later. Assuming this isn't adequate for discus keeping, I guess my question is how long must the water be aged?

I'm hoping to do about 20% every other day once I get discus, but I have little place to store any water to age it over time. The only place for me would be under the tank itself, and even there i'd be lucky to stick a 15gal container, with all the other equipment and supplies under there. I can't leave a container of water just sitting on the floor for any length of time either, not for great length of time.

If aging + conditioner is necessary, then ideally I could just fill my 8g bucket and let it age/temp/oxygenate overnight. But is that aging long enough? Is it even necessary when using conditioner? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Matt

dishpanhands
04-10-2008, 08:13 PM
It takes me about 10 hours to age my water...fill up a bucket with tap water put air stone in it and the start checking the PH every hour or so.. got to watch for the PH to quit changing..

tedsdiscus
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I use a big garbage container, air stone, and heater. I age my container for at least 24 hours and use it directly for WC. No additives once so ever.

Ted

Jerseyfish
04-10-2008, 11:38 PM
It takes me about 10 hours to age my water...fill up a bucket with tap water put air stone in it and the start checking the PH every hour or so.. got to watch for the PH to quit changing..

Thanks for the response. About how much does your PH change? I've got a 6.8-7.0PH going on in my tank, with a 7.2-7.4 straight from tap.

I'm setting up a 6 gallon WC with a spare heater and airstone tonight, and testing its GH/KH/PH. Then I'll test again in the morning, and after work, and then before bed tommarow to see the difference. Should be enlightening.

And Ted, the aging takes care of the chlorine/chlorimines for you? Sounds good to me, would save on my conditioner costs.

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi Matt

Water can be aged over a 24-48hr period & used without problems.

Once conditioned & water has reached the desired water perameters intended you can use it right away.

If small w/c are made pH won't be affected much, only when larger ones are made, especially over a-short period say daily/every other day, is when pH will increase quickly, if not immediately.

I would highly recommend, checking your water param's on a regular basis, or until your very familiar with your works i.e. how much-w/c=how much change.

Regards Armandi ;)