PDA

View Full Version : Central System

pwsusi
04-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I want to build a central system for my rack of 29's. The rack is 3 tiers high, each tier holds 6 tanks for a total of 18 tanks (http://angelsonly.com/Tank_rack.htm).

I have several questions and was hoping you all could help.

1)How strong of a pump do i need for approx 525 gallons? I was planning on using a 1290gph pump...but does the number of outlets affect how strong of a pump i will need? I would prefer to just have one system....but perhaps I need a second 1290gph pump and make 2 systems?
2)How big of a sump will i need? I was hoping I could simply use on the 29's on the bottom shelf for the sump. Or maybe two of them if i end up using 2 pumps.

please keep in mind when answering the above two questions that I don't want separate heaters in the tanks...i'm planning on putting a heater in the sump.

3)What should I use for PVC lines feeding the tanks? 3/4 inch ok? or larger?
4)For the return line, I was thinking of running a piece of 1 1/2'' PVC along the front of each tier. Each tank has a 3/4'' bulkhead...so there would be 6x 3/4'' drains connected to the 1 1/2 inch PVC. Then, the 3x 1 1/2 inch return lines (one from each tier) would connect to a 2'' pipe that would return the water back to the pump. What do you think?

Thanks,
Paul

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I want to build a central system for my rack of 29's. The rack is 3 tiers high, each tier holds 6 tanks for a total of 18 tanks (http://angelsonly.com/Tank_rack.htm).

I have several questions and was hoping you all could help.

1)How strong of a pump do i need for approx 525 gallons? I was planning on using a 1290gph pump...but does the number of outlets affect how strong of a pump i will need? I would prefer to just have one system....but perhaps I need a second 1290gph pump and make 2 systems?
2)How big of a sump will i need? I was hoping I could simply use on the 29's on the bottom shelf for the sump. Or maybe two of them if i end up using 2 pumps.

please keep in mind when answering the above two questions that I don't want separate heaters in the tanks...i'm planning on putting a heater in the sump.

3)What should I use for PVC lines feeding the tanks? 3/4 inch ok? or larger?
4)For the return line, I was thinking of running a piece of 1 1/2'' PVC along the front of each tier. Each tank has a 3/4'' bulkhead...so there would be 6x 3/4'' drains connected to the 1 1/2 inch PVC. Then, the 3x 1 1/2 inch return lines (one from each tier) would connect to a 2'' pipe that would return the water back to the pump. What do you think?

Thanks,
Paul

1.) well your flow rate depends on what you are going to do in those tanks. Growouts I would suggest a turnover of 4x per hour (or more). Breeding tanks much lower of course. 525 gallons at 4x turnover is roughly 2,100GPH. What is the highest point in your system? Im going to assume the top of the tanks on the top tier is 7ft. Add in another 20ft of piping, plus 4 elbows. That is roughly 10-11 feet of head height (TDH). What exact pump were you planning on using?? 2 of the 1290GPH pumps might work, depending on their pumping curves.

2.) For sump volume....go as big as you possibly can. Use whatever space you have below for a sump. The more volume you have the easier things can be. Though I have seen a 30 gallon sump used on a 360 gallon tank, it worked but it could have been far better.

3.) Return lines to the tanks using a 2,000+GPH pump I wouldnt go anything less than 1" sch. 40 PVC.

4.) Sounds good to me. I like the way you step each section of the overflow piping up as it gets closer to the sump. Most people dont do that and sometimes it can cause flow problems leading to the sump.

What do you plan to have in your filter in terms of mechanical and biological filtration?

-Ryan

pwsusi
04-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Hello Ryan. Thanks for the feedback. Here's some more info...

1.) I intend to keep 1 pair of fish in each 29. My main concern about the flow is to have it the water turn over often enough that I can keep the tanks warm by just heating the sump.

The pump i intend to use is the the Rio HP20 which is 1290gph.

2.) For the sump, i'm re-thinking using one of the 29s....I think I will use a 55gallon tank instead.

3.) Return lines to the tanks using a 2,000+GPH pump I wouldnt go anything less than 1" sch. 40 PVC.

For filtration...I intend to have a central air system powering a hydrosponge in each tank. I haven't decided what to put in the sump....maybe more hydro's and bioballs.

RockHound
04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/placer_mines/wf5.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/placer_mines/easywdtf.jpg

I would suggest you have a wet/dry trickle flter in/line, before the sump.
With that, you don't need a filter in each tank.
The two wet/dry filters pictured above are simple & inexpensive to build.

pwsusi
04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Do you have a link to instructions for building one of these?

Thanks,
Paul

RockHound
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Shower tower link below:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=63089

The drum & bucket type trickle filter is straight forward to build.
A bulkhead drain in the drum.
A bucket drilled with lots of holes.
Use the bucket lid as a diffuser/trickle plate.
Drill lots of smaller holes in the lid.
So, water showers over the biomedia in the bucket.
A PVC connection centered in the drum lid.
Set a mini crate in the drum.
Set the bucket centered on top it.
Fill the bucket with biomedia.
Snap on the drum lid.
Plumb it to water & you are cooking.

MostlyDiscus
04-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Hi Paul,

I run a central system atm. With pairs you would want a slower flow rate, When my pair lay eggs I turn it down to a trickle and the temp may drop a degree or two. You may want to put in 1 in bulkheads for increase flow out of your tanks and into your sump. More water is better for the sump. Mine is 400 gallons. Xavan is made by dupont and makes a great liner for a sump should you want to build a sump pit vs tanks. For the bio filters I use a bin filled with bio balls and on top of that lays egg crate. On top of egg crate goes a tank divider screen(clear and many holes). If you build your own sump and use a bin instead you can cut of the bottom of the bin and drill that much like the bucket lid method(which I do like, thx hound:) ). Are you going to put a filter on line? ie sand or cartridge? If you do then you may want to up your pump. I have a 1/6 hp on my system running through a 100sf cartridge. Just food for thought.