PDA

View Full Version : Switching from UG to sponge

Jerseyfish
04-18-2008, 07:32 AM
So, I started with my discus with little thought into my filtration. I've had an UGF running in what is now my discus tank for such a long time, I didn't want to disturb it and risk ruining a tank that has stayed clear for me for so long.

However, I find that with my daily cleanings, I'm either going to be comprimsing the bacteria bed down there, or I'm going to not be getting it clean enough for my discus. So I figure I will switch over to a sponge. My questions are twofold.

1. If i drain the tank most of the way, to maybe 2 inches above the gravel, and then pull up the UGF, can I simply soak the sponge in the bacteria-filled water to get it set up? I'm running a HOB filter at the same time, so thats fully seeded in the mean time even if the sponge doesn't work at 100% right away.

2. This might sound silly, but I'm very worried about how to safely move the discus to a temporary tank. I've only got a 10g to put them in, which I'm worried won't be enough for the hour or so I'm cleaning. And I've heard that nets are bad, so I don't know how I should go about moving them (2.5-3" each)

I appreciate any input on what to do. I'm in no huge rush to do this, but since I've got time off from work for a few days, I figure in the next 4-5 days would be the best time for me to do it.

Graham
04-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi You don't say how many fish were talking about here but The 10 will be fine for smaller fish for the hour or so that they be in it...just use an airstone and the heater.

If you have a fully cycled HOB filter than that's all you should need initially. I'd drain the tank and get the UG and all the crud that's probably under it out of the tank, then fill it up with new clean water.

As far as moving the fish do it by hand

G

Tropical Haven
04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I totally agree, get rid of the UG.

Jerseyfish
04-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Its 5 discus total. If necessary, I could probally move them into two different 10 gallons, just would need to borrow a spare from a friend. Moving by hand is going to so worrysome for me. I'm very paranoid.

And I'll just let the sponge sit in there and start working afterward I guess. The HOB I don't care for, and I feel that its only barely enough for the tank, which is why I put the UG in originally, but now it will be replaced with the sponge.

Graham
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
They don't bite:D 5 >3'' fish will be fine in a 10 fro a few hours no problem.

Just drain the tank down to about 2'' of water or so and lift them over into the 10. Nets catch hard spines, rub scales and scrape off mucus....hands only bleed when stabbed with a spine :D:D;)

Use that established HOB for the next few weeks

G

Jerseyfish
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice Graham. For the record, I'm not worried about my hands just worried about the fish. The thought of one slipping is something that will keep me up at night.

I'll leave the HOB as is for the next few weeks, as well as putting in the sponge to start growing bacteria. The HOB gets cruddy and needs maintenance too often for my taste, at least thats how its been in the past. Maybe since I'm vacuuming and WCing daily, It won't need the attention it used to. Either way I don't plan to get rid of it, I just know its not the best biofilter in the world.

Jerseyfish
04-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Well, I did it, and I'm glad I did. The water was practically black after I churned up the gravel. Removed it all, steam washed it, and put some back (can't deal with aesthetic of a barebottom.) Installed the sponge, undergravel gone, and fish safely moved out and back. Should be easier cleaning now that I don't have to worry about vacuuming to deep.

tcyiu
04-21-2008, 04:39 AM
In the future, you might consider using a food safe plastic container to move your discus. I use one that I bought at the dollar store. I slowly corner the fish, and press the mouth of the container against the side of the aquarium to trap the fish. The container (with mouth against the glass) is lifted above the waterline until water can start draining out. Once half of the water is drained, I tilt the container vertically, and the fish is inside. This makes it very easy to transport discus without nets.

Tim