PDA

View Full Version : Low Tech, Low Lights Planted Tanks

pinkertd
04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I had a couple of requests to post pictures of my low tech, low lights planted tanks. The 55G (first 4 pics) is my sidthimunki tank just planted in January. Standard hoods and light fixtures with GE aquarays 9325 bulbs, natural south american round river gravel is the only substrate, weekly Flourish and root tabs about every 6 weeks or so. Tank temp is 84-86, ph 7.6 conditioned tap water.

The discus tank is the same parameters....standard hood with 9325 bulb, same water and feeding schedule. It's planted just enough to give the cories plenty of shade, the rummies a resting place, and the discus can still pick food out of most of the plantings. Both tanks get 50-75% water changes 2X/week.

Tropical Haven
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Debbie nice looking tank, your discus look really nice in there.

Diamond Discus
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Just curious, what are you using for algae control?? Looks clean for sure. ;)

pinkertd
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
I guess I'm very fortunate that I get very little algae even though my lights are on about 14 hours/day in the discus tank and about 16 hours/day in the sidthimunki tank. I do have a baby bristlenose in the discus tank and just added a couple of otocinclus a few weeks ago, I do get some diatoms from phosphates ? in the water in the discus tank. Some of the leaves are too fine for the bristlenose to clean but the otos get them. In the 55, same everything except the tank is shallower than the discus tank but I never have diatoms in there. The 55 has 2 baby bristlenose and 2 otos. Sometimes a little algae starts on the leaves that are right at the top of the tank, but just a normal dose of Excel when I see that algae takes care of that. I don't use the Excel regularly, my discus really don't like it, so I also keep that in mind not to stress out that tank full of growing sidthimunki's. I'm sure the plants could be even better if I dosed more ferts but I'm conservative on the ferts for the sake of the fish.

Autumn Wind
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Debbi,
Great looking tank! Congrats!
I too use the GE 9325 bulbs on my planted tank. Where did you buy your bulbs? I bought mine online awhile ago and can't for the life of me remember where online I got it.
thanks, vanessa

blkrob
04-02-2009, 03:37 AM
This is were I purchase my GE 9325 bulbs. I generally buy 8 at a time.
http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/Aquarium/F55BX-AR-FS
HTH
Robert

Autumn Wind
04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
That's where I got mine. Thank you!
I promise to bookmark it this time :o

thebigone
04-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Debbi that is a nice planted tank that you have. Some nice looking discus as well.