PDA

View Full Version : Strains and Aggression?

Surferdave
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Do you guys find particular strains seem to be more aggressive than others? Or does every fish have their own personality. My leopard pigeon and chekered pigeon seem to constantly be at the top of the pecking order, even though they were introduced later into the tank, they just asserted themselves making the more dominate fish at the time more submissive. Any thoughts on more dominant/assertive strains?

D.

ShinShin
04-25-2008, 02:30 PM
PB's established themselves as a dominant breed soon after their appearance. They are highly recommended for people who have never kept discus before. Besides usually being more dominant, they tend to be more hardy. But, that was almost 20 years ago. Perhaps this trait has left them with all the inbreeding being done in an attempt to create a new strain.

Mat

alron2
04-25-2008, 05:57 PM
How were the PB developed?
Thanks
Ron

ShinShin
04-26-2008, 01:13 AM
It was a mutation "discovered" in Thailand by Kitti. There are mixed reports as to whether or not he actually spawned the original or bought the whole spawn from a small breeder and then developed the strain from the original. I believe the original mutated fish came from a red turquois spawn, but I may be in error.

Kitti's account from what I read in an interview was that he spawned and developed the strain. Two different Asian breeders/dealers I know told me money talks, and that money bought the silence of the real breeder who owned the original mutated fish. I don't know which of the stories is true, but Kitti was getting $500.00 apiece for 2" PB's and couldn't meet the demand the first year.

Mat