PDA

View Full Version : Best Chemical Filter Media to Run in Discus Tank?

bs6749
04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm humoring the thought of having some type of chemical filter media in my canister filter in order to keep my future discus happy and healthy. But, I am wondering WHAT I should use to keep the water pristine. Since I will be cleaning out my currently established 55 gallon tank, throwing away sand, getting rid of the plants, sterilizing everything with bleach including the filters, and heaters, I will essentially be starting from scratch with no bioload.

I am familiar with the bio-cycle: ammonia>>>>nitrite>>>>nitrate and I am wondering what I can add to my canister filter to keep all of these levels at or near 0 ppm. What do you guys/gals on here use in your filters to keep these readings low and how often do you change this media? I know there is no substitute for large and frequent PWC's, I just want to keep the levels low in case I can't do a water change as scheduled. TIA for any help/advice/tips you are able to provide!

Raggio
05-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I use bio-rings they are made by Cascade also known as Penn-Plax they are great for increasing the amount of biological filtration I also sponge filters and a box filter with bio-rings. It keeps my ammonia at zero. Ideally it's best to do more water changes.

Ron