PDA

View Full Version : My discus have bred!!!!

plymbloke
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
wahoo, i have just looked at my tank and within the last hour my two largest fish have spawned all over the filter outlet pipe! they are all sort of milky colour - does this mean that they are infertile? i wander how many will be left/hatch?!?! :D:D

Tropical Haven
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Congrats on the new pair, hopefully after a little bit of trying from your pair you will end up with some fry. :D

plymbloke
04-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks! :D i hope so, everything seems to be breeding at the moment lol, discus, cardinals, celestial pearl danio, running out of room!
:D

-chris-

MostlyDiscus
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi Chris, cheers m8. I have found that it takes a few times for the pair to get it right. Think its the male mostly. If they dont hatch this time around let them try a few times. Make sure you dont have running water next to the breeding site ie bubble filter or power filter overflow. Good Luck and good discus. Ed

plymbloke
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks Ed - they have laid on the outlet pipe of the external filter in a community tank (black neons and corys) will the water flow aorudn this outlet pipe be enough? They havent eaten the eggs yet which is good lol - its been 24hours since they laid and i can only see two unfertilised, white eggs. I have absolutely no idea which is the male lol, they both look very similar in shape and size.

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Congrats on the pair-up, it usually takes a few goes to get it right :)

Hope all goes well for you mate & happy Discus keeping

Regards Armandi ;)

MostlyDiscus
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Chris,

You could try and put a new spawning substrait in their tank if the water flow is too close. Most times the pair still spawn where they started though. If you do get wigglers and they free swin you may want to watch out for the neons. Corys should be no problems. Please let me know what happens.. :)

plymbloke
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
well i counted around about 25 fry all clinging to the filter pipe this morning, this afternoon i can see 4 lol, so im not holding too high hopes for this brood but at least they hatched i guess lol, we shall see what happens :)