PDA

View Full Version : Starting suction on an Eheim 2229

bavaria36
04-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I've just set up my new 2229 but I cannot get the suction started on the intake side. The instructions simply say to open the tap on the intake side and start the suction but there seems to be no way to fill the canister as you can do with the 20208.

I tried starting the filter after I had filled it with water but the suction still does not start on the intake side. The output side seems fine.

I have checked all the connections and looked for leaks.

Am I missing something obvious ??

Aaron

brewmaster15
05-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Hi Aaron,
Two ways that usually work to start most cannister....
1) fill itwith water, close it and turn it upside down until it starts
2) Use a garden hose or python...hook this up the intake ...by hand is fine....the force of the water should dislodge any air pockets around the impeller ( often the cause of the problem) and get the filter going.

hTH,
al

bavaria36
05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Thks for the answer Al,

I finally got it running by taking the input hose out of the tank , filling it with water ( manually ), returning it into the tank and then starting up again. It was messy but it worked.

I will try your second method when I need to clean it out

Thks

Aaron

GottaBeKiN
05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
The intake hose should fill up the filter automatically if you didnt' lose siphon on it.

bavaria36
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
The intake hose should fill up the filter automatically if you didnt' lose siphon on it.

This was the initial installation so the hose was empty. I think that it should be easier next time as long as I leave the hose full.

Aaron

jayp
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
The eheim 2229 is a pain to start. I have the same filter and it requires a few attempts before i am successful. The following makes it slightly easier.

make sure the air line does not have any bends and is as straight and vertical as possible so water is not allowed to accumulate.

Keep the outake valve shut and fill up the intake valve until the filter and the pipe is almost full.

make sure the intake is submerged and open the outtake valve and plug the filter into the mains.

The pressure of the water in the intake will push it through the filter and into the outake as soon as the valve is opened and the power supply switched on.

Ensure that all the rubber seals are in place especially with the wet dry chamber as it is prone to cause a mess if one goes missing when you service the filter.

Once you get it working it is an amazing filter that requires less maintenance than the traditional eheim filters.

GottaBeKiN
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
This was the initial installation so the hose was empty. I think that it should be easier next time as long as I leave the hose full.

Aaron

I see, in that case, what you want to do is to suck on the intake hose a little to create a siphon (assuming you have the quick disconnect shut off valve, and a bucket available to catch the water). That's what I do with my eheim canister, but I don't know if it's any different from their Wet/Dry filter. This will fill up the canister automatically, but you have to make sure that your canister and outtake hose is empty. Once its fill, just plug it in.

bavaria36
05-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Keep the outake valve shut and fill up the intake valve until the filter and the pipe is almost full.

That's what did it in the end. I actually filled the filter itself before I closed it up. Then I pulled the intake hose out of the tank, poured water into it till it was full and the air bubbles cleared and then started the filter.

You say that it is easier to maintain than other filters..... why is that ? I have a 2028 too and I find that it needs a lot of cleaning out if I do not use a pre filter.

Thanks for the tips.

Aaron

bavaria36
05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I see, in that case, what you want to do is to suck on the intake hose a little to create a siphon (assuming you have the quick disconnect shut off valve, and a bucket available to catch the water). That's what I do with my eheim canister, but I don't know if it's any different from their Wet/Dry filter. This will fill up the canister automatically, but you have to make sure that your canister and outtake hose is empty. Once its fill, just plug it in.

Kin,

if I suck on the intake hose, where does the water to fill the cannister come from ? Should the suction not be applied at the outtake ?

When I was trying to get the filter going I did manage to get a siphon going from the outtake side ( I had filled the filter before I closed it up ) but this was not enough to get the flow going on the intake when I started the pump.

Aaron

GottaBeKiN
05-03-2008, 12:03 AM
You have to keep the canister and outtake hose empty to begin with. When you suck on the intake and create a siphon, connect to the canister and it should fill it up automatically. When the canister is full just plug it in. Like i said, I don't know if it will work for the wetdry eheim, but it works for my 2028 and 2217.

BSW
05-03-2008, 07:54 AM
If you fill the canister before you lock it up, and have both hoses attached at the top rim of the tank, unattach the out put hose and lay it down into a bucket on the floor, plug in the filter, once it starts running, lock up the suction, and return the out put hose to the top of the tank. Unlock the suction and it should start running. There can't be a lot of slack in the hoses, or it probably won't run well.
I hope you've got it going by now.
B

bavaria36
05-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes, it's running fine now. Thanks for all the great advice

Aaron

jayp
05-04-2008, 06:20 AM

You say that it is easier to maintain than other filters..... why is that ? I have a 2028 too and I find that it needs a lot of cleaning out if I do not use a pre filter.

Aaron

Aaron

I am not sure but i am told it is due to the wet/dry capabilities, I clean mine once every 6 months and there is not much to clean, it may also be because this eheim recommend not to use foam as part of its filtration process.

Thanks

Jay